Post Thanks / Like
    My stock car is running 215/55/17 with alot of gap space between the tires and the car.

Im planning on getting Goodyear Assurance Tripletred soon and i wanted to get a bigger size tire to close the gap space. Kinda going for the "lower" look in the car. But what is a possible larger size without causing any trouble to the ride of the car. I was thinking 235/55/17 would be an ok increase? or 225/55/17? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing the diameter of the tires will cause your speedometer/odometer readings to be inaccurate. People usually "lower" the car by lowering it by changing springs, etc. You can change the appearance of the car by going to a larger wheel and a lower profile tire, therefore keeping the diameter the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    making the wheel bigger and tire smaller will result in a rougher ride because you`re taking away the cushion of the sidewall

the difference between a 215 and 225 should be minimal on he odometer.

i`d go with the 225 and not a triple tread. triple treads tend to offer a terrible ride because of the hard tread compound. something in the similar price range would be a Michelin energy mxv4 or a s8
    03 Redfire Mustang GT

13.9 when it was stock

Intake, Exhaust now

Post Thanks / Like
    new wheels aren`t in my expense. I can only get new tires and their gonna cost about 900 bucks for 4 plus installation and alignment.

But im being hold back by the size. I talked to a tirerack sales guy and he said, "sure you can increase to 225/55/17 or even to 235/55/17 without a problem". Then i talked to my dealership service tech and he said those sizes would cause problems with the car, he said, " generally, if you increase by 10 u must also subtract by 10, he suggests i got 225/45/17."

Its all very confusing on what possible size i can get from the original tire size of 215/55/17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I don`t think the dealership guy knows what he is talking about. The first number is about width and the second about sidewall. You don`t usually subtract one and then add to the other.

If you want to fill the wheel wells more, you don`t want a bigger sidewall, because that would probably look goofy IMO. The best way is the to get shorter springs, or if not, bigger wheels. However, if you drive something like a SUV, bigger wheels might end up with the "bling" look which would also look goofy

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiPsAuCe
    My stock car is running 215/55/17 with alot of gap space between the tires and the car.

Im planning on getting Goodyear Assurance Tripletred soon and i wanted to get a bigger size tire to close the gap space. Kinda going for the "lower" look in the car. But what is a possible larger size without causing any trouble to the ride of the car. I was thinking 235/55/17 would be an ok increase? or 225/55/17? Thanks

225/50 R17 will be almost exact height and the extra width will make up for the sidewall you loose. Close the gap by lowering with a professional progressive spring kit. progressive springs will maintain OEM ride integrity until sport driving. Goodyears look great but they don`t last for long. Michelin will wear much better. I`ve heard that changing the overall diameter can also interfere with ABS systems.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first number is the width, the second is the sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the width.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, are you planning to do some 4 wheeling?? Sure you may fill up the gap a bit, but you are raising the car up and making it look more like a 4x4... Buy your stock tire size & some drop springs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, ya i guess ill just stick with my original size. The goodyear tripletred got very high ratings on Tirerack.com. I was gonna go with a high performance all season tire like the michilin primacy mxv4 but then i saw the tripletred and everyones giving it all 10s.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best tire sites on the WEB: http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_specs.jsp

Post Thanks / Like
    Your speedo is calibrated to the diameter of the stock wheel/tire package. Any variation to that diameter will cause your speedo to be off to some degree. Here`s a calculator you can use to show you the effects of changing your diameter. Plug in your stock size on the left and the size you`re considering on the right to see the effects.

Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

From a visual standpoint, increasing your diameter may help to fill the gap, but as jshillin pointed out, it will also cause your car to sit higher off the ground.

Plus sizing to a larger wheel with a lower profile tire, if done correctly, will not change the overall diameter wheel/tire package and as such, will not help with the gap. Plus sizing without lowering the car can actually result in a visual effect that emphasizes the gap and causes the car to look raised even though it`s not.

The right way to eliminate the gap is to lower the car with lowering springs. That`s an expensive upgrade, and will have a negative impact on the way your car rides. You generally get better handling, i.e. cornering, etc., but a rougher ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    going from stock to 235/55/17 will make the tire .9 inches taller and I guess might close some fender gap but it will raise the car

It will make your speedometer read 60 mph when your going 62 mph/ 3.3% too slow

You would be fine with 235/55/17s if you want...but I would say just get some springs...or even you could cut 3/4- 1 inch off your stock springs if you wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
    or even you could cut 3/4- 1 inch off your stock springs if you wanted

Don`t cut your springs!!!

Thread Information