Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add a black pinstripe to the side of my car but I cannot find any kits or info on how to do this properly. What is the best way to add a pinstripe to a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    If your talking about a thin stripe around the top, it is very easy. Stick it to your starting section about a 2 inches, pull towards the back section, the tape is pressure sensitive so it can be pulled off again if it is not straight. Try until it is right, then press in place. If it is thicker than 1/2 inch you might have to use a credit card and smooth it out so there are no bubbles. Door gaps cut and curl around.

If you have to make a curve and the tape wants to crease you have to cut and overlap a little.

Don`t forget to clean well first with IPA and don`t wash for a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and when i mean pull towards the back, i mean try the whole side of your car, as this will be the straightest.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s IPA and where can I buy a tape on pinstripe?

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy tape-on pinstripes at auto parts stores. An auto accessory store may have a better brand, but the others will work ok.

Just want to re-emphasize what Salty said. After you tack the pinstripe on one end of the car for a starting point, then stretch it the full length of the car before cutting off and peeling. (don`t try this on a windy day nor on a real hot day in direct sunlight)

When you get the tape stretched out full length, stoop down at eye level. You`ll see just how straight you are. Before pressing any of it down, you can lift it back up to reposition it to get it where you want it. When you do that, don`t pull up too hard so as not to pull up the tacked down end. Once you got it where you want it, break it off, but don`t make any cuts yet.

Next press the tape down straight into the car at intervals first, then the whole length at once. Then and only then start peeliing the clear cover tape. Peel at the sharpest angle possible so that you don`t pull up the pinstripe as you`re doing that. After peeling, you can make your cuts for the doors and both ends. Most people bring the ends together to a point at least on the fronts, but it`s not easy to do for a first timer, so you might pass on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks. One more question, do I need to do anything special around the pinstripe when I`m polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont do it Justin...keep your car clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to try it too, I thought you would do a section at a time without cutting. For example, the front fender, press down, then the two doors, pressdown etc. Most bodies have a slight curve to them, would a straight line work ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NickC89
    Dont do it Justin...keep your car clean.

I got the black and white theme so a black pinstripe will add to the look. I gotta get my windows tinted soon too.
    -Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    ehh whatever...if you need help wait till the 26th when I come up. Its not that hard with two people.

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pgp
    I have to try it too, I thought you would do a section at a time without cutting. For example, the front fender, press down, then the two doors, pressdown etc. Most bodies have a slight curve to them, would a straight line work ?

If you have much of a curve to deal with, you`ll have a heck of a time. Just remember get down eye level and pull the full length of the car or at least half before pushing down. The reason is because the farther you pull the tape the straighter the overall line will be. One section at a time will make that section straight, but makes the whole side crooked (because the sections are not straight to each other).

Here`s how to deal with the front fender curve:

Lay the whole side down as described earlier. Press down the back half of the car, but not the front fender and front door. Instead go back to the front part of the vehicle. Slightly lift back up the tape (at eye level) and re-lay it with a gradual curve the closer you get to the front. It will probably take multiple attempts if there is much of a curve. Do not peel off the carriage (clear) tape until it`s right where you want it and then pressed down. Only after peeling make your door cuts. Then attempt to do the other side exactly the same angle as the first side. Good luck! It`s not easy until you`ve done about 20 or 30 of them. Oh yeah, one other thing; Don`t make the curve of the tape too severe. Some think they need to do that, but it ends up looking icky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright thanks. Ill try to get the ps soon.
    -Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    How does one remove a pinstripe? lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Purewatre Dzine
    How does one remove a pinstripe? lol.

what kind? paint, stick on, is there clear over it?

how long has it been on there ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can just go to a body shop and people will do it correctly the first time.GOOD LUCK!

Thread Information