Post Thanks / Like
    I made this simple DIY because I know that a true Autopian can appreciate the desire to keep everything looking fresh and clean. In other words I wanted to share this with people who are called crazy all the time because of their OCD habits just like me. :grinno:

So I wanted to find a way to protect my license plate and to keep it from getting dirty. I priced some sealed license plate covers online and if I recall they ran about $30 plus shipping. I figured that it couldn’t be that hard to do so I made my own for about $10.

The frame was put together and installed two years ago and I didn’t want to make a DIY unless I knew it worked. For my registration renewal I had to remove the plate from car to put on the new sticker. Low and behold the plate was clean as could be. No dirt on it at all, it looked just as new as it did when I installed it.

So now I hope you are all excited and ready to do this yourself. If so this is what you need:

- A license plate frame/cover. I picked up this one made by Bell. I bought it from Wal-Mart for about $5. I think they even had ones with tinted covers but I chose the clear one. (:nono the sockets didn`t come with it)

- Some weather stripping. I picked this up from Home Depot. I liked it because the D shape let it contour nicely to the edge of the plate.

- Some other foam weather stripping to go around the holes of the cover.

- And if your vehicle only uses two holes to mount the plate (like mine) you may want to find two small round headed bolts and two nuts. I used these at the bottom to keep the frame together.

Next you have to assemble it:

Cut the weather stripping to fit the top/bottom and left/right side of the clear frame cover. The stripping that I used is 2 D shaped pieces together. It can be separated down the center which I did.

Don`t think I risked scratching the cover in the pic above ^ it was resting on top of the frame and not touching the concrete. Would a guy go through this much trouble and not care about scratching the cover?

This is how it looks from the viewing side

Oh oh, you can see the weather strips. Well hello, yes, since the cover is clear. :laugh: Don’t worry it will be covered by the black frame.

Next I used the other foam weather stripping that I had lying around. I cut it in small rectangles and stuck it around the holes in the cover. I used 3 rectangular pieces since it doesn’t take to a round shape. If you look closely at the pic above (2 above) you can see a piece that stayed stuck to the cover on the bottom left hand side. The rest of the pieces stuck to the plate so I don’t have pictures of it.

Next I used the round headed bolts and nuts to keep the bottom of the frame together.

Here is what it looks like from the back side:

Finally, you mount the license plate to the vehicle.

The finished product:

Notice that the bolt heads are black. I painted them flat black so they didn’t stand out as much. Just get some flat black spray paint, shake it, spray a little bit in a small cup, and apply it to the heads with a small paint brush (if you don’t have a small brush a Q-tip would work for this).

And there you have it!

A very simple yet effective way to protect your license plate while saving a few bucks and having the satisfaction that you made something yourself. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good project.

I got the same cover from Walmart, but the idea about the weatherstripping is excellent. I noticed that the inside of the covers get foggy sometimes when there is a high humidity level. Hopefully the weather stripping will impede that process from occurring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    Good project.

I got the same cover from Walmart, but the idea about the weatherstripping is excellent. I noticed that the inside of the covers get foggy sometimes when there is a high humidity level. Hopefully the weather stripping will impede that process from occurring.
    Thanks man.

Being from the deep south in New Orleans I am very familiar with humidity! This does keep the inside of the cover from fogging up. There was no evidence of water getting into the cover at all. The inside plastic of the cover didn`t even have to be cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in New Orleans do you live? Nice to see a few locals around!
    2008 Nissan Titan, 2005 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Accord Wagon, 1992 Honda Accord Wagon, 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

:waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job although I must tell you those clear covers don`t last too long around here, not sure if its the heat or the sun but they start to cloud up in a few years or less. I have thrown several away in clear and smoked. Last time I bit the bullet and got the one made by weathertech, its on my car now but this car stays covered under 2 covers in a car port and only comes out on the sunny weekends so not sure if this is a good test or not, will see. Good luck with yours. :xyxthumbs
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve often wondered why auto manufacturers don`t try to integrate the license plate into the car design a little better. It is always such an eyesore to the overall look.

Did you clean and wax the license plate and the mounting area? You may want to put something on the clear cover to keep it from hazing, although they don`t seem very durable.

Good idea, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also...good to see some New Orleans folks, I live in Kenner, Louisiana...........:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfirehawk
    Good job although I must tell you those clear covers don`t last too long around here, not sure if its the heat or the sun but they start to cloud up in a few years or less. I have thrown several away in clear and smoked. Last time I bit the bullet and got the one made by weathertech, its on my car now but this car stays covered under 2 covers in a car port and only comes out on the sunny weekends so not sure if this is a good test or not, will see. Good luck with yours. :xyxthumbs
    Thanks! I have seen many covers clouded up like you mention but fortunately mine still looks fine. This cover has been installed for at least 2 years with NO sign of weathering at all. Like your thinking I believe this is most likely due to the fact that my car is garaged at work and at home so the sun doesn`t pound down on it all day long. I am very careful with it when washing too, not to scratch the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiejoe
    I`ve often wondered why auto manufacturers don`t try to integrate the license plate into the car design a little better. It is always such an eyesore to the overall look.

Did you clean and wax the license plate and the mounting area? You may want to put something on the clear cover to keep it from hazing, although they don`t seem very durable.

Good idea, though.
    No kidding. It`s as if they finish the build and go :doh then throw in holes for a license plate. :grinno:

I used AquaWax on the plate. Whenever I apply AW to the car the cover gets the treatment too.

Quote Originally Posted by suki22
    Also...good to see some New Orleans folks, I live in Kenner, Louisiana...........:xyxthumbs
    It is nice to see some locals around here :wavey I`m in Covington.

Post Thanks / Like
    Luling representing!
    2008 Nissan Titan, 2005 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Accord Wagon, 1992 Honda Accord Wagon, 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

:waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW-odd timing but I see someone in the for sale area has a weather tech plate cover for $20, I may snag it for my other car, even though its not a personalized tag, it is a tiger striped LSU plate so got to keep it sharp! GO TIGERS!

Yo Luling (asleepz) Know: Alvin Madere?
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

AJ Auto Detail, LLC
    Post Thanks / Like
    louisiana baby haha!! baton rouge here
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Thread Information