Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know of a company that offers this service in Orange County, Calif?

Post Thanks / Like
    it a easy DIY project

if you have the tools to remove the wheels

if you are going to send them out you should find someone who can powercoat them for you

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s really easy I did mine with 2 coats of GM paint to match my car and then 2 coats of high temp clearcoat for engines. They have heald up perfect for a little less than 2 years. Look just like the day I painted them when they are clean. you can pm me if you have any questions, but I used 2 cans of paint and 2 cans of high tem enamel. 4 big 4x4 pieces of cardboard to put under wheels , 4 plastic bags (grogery store fit perfect) to put over the rotor, blue painters tape to tape off all around the caliper and some painters plastic (big pieces) to put in the wheelwell and on the fenders because I will garuntee that the paint will spread especially if you do it outside. I would guess that if you are on this thread you care tremendously about your paint so I would recomend to be better safe than sorry I went as far as to cover my whole fenders and quater pannels with newspaper. My car looked like it was a paper machee :chuckle:. Good luck it will look good when you are done. :getdown post pics

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the diy route. It looked good for about three years still looks ok. Im going with powder coat this year though. since im getting bigger new calipers. Place im going to is charging me $60.

Also if you go the pc`ing route you will have to rebuild your calipers also. Not hard to rebuild just depends on how much you want to put into the project.
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    it a easy DIY project

if you have the tools to remove the wheels

if you are going to send them out you should find someone who can powercoat them for you

+1 on the DIY and expensive alternative to the powdercoat route...
    2003 Cobra Vert
    #582 of 5082
    1 of 130 Parchment/Oxford White

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t painting calipers with even Hi-Temp paint only going to last for a little while because of the high heat? I thought I was told that powercoating them is the only/best way to do it?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used G2 Caliper paint on my front calipers about 4 years ago and they still look great. You have to use the correct paint and you have to clean the calipers thoroughly. My calipers were new replacements so not much cleaning was needed. Like waxing its all in the preparation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Isn`t painting calipers with even Hi-Temp paint only going to last for a little while because of the high heat? I thought I was told that powercoating them is the only/best way to do it?

No it can last for along time

mine usually need pads before paint

so I just do the pads and paint at the same time about every two years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yal
    I used G2 Caliper paint on my front calipers about 4 years ago and they still look great. You have to use the correct paint and you have to clean the calipers thoroughly. My calipers were new replacements so not much cleaning was needed. Like waxing its all in the preparation

i agree. prep them well and even regular rustoleum enamel will last a LONG time. scrub the heck out of them with brake cleaner, just watch the car finish (if you splash). calipers do not reach high enough temps to hurt good enamel even if not "high temp".

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve painted calipers with PPG base coat/clear coat and they looked great for the 2 years I owned the car. I sold it so have no idea what they look like now.

I`ve used those brush on kits Duplicolor kits that you can get from Advance with good results too.

Like said above, final finish and durability is all about the prep!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You really dont need it to be done professionally. You can do what I did, dissasemble it and use some high heat engine enamel. Not too difficult...

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of you leave the caliper on the rotor and tape off? or remove and hang via wire so not to harm the brake line...?
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry but unless you have a big brake kit, painting calipers is like putting those darn fake vents on your car or a huge wing or better yet, racing stickers of things you don`t even have on your car. Not trying to give you a hard time, just informing so don`t everyone get pissy. It`s kinda like if someone new comes on here and says turtle wax is the best wax ever, people will most def give their 2 cents. If you do have a bbk, then by all mean go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by never gone
    sorry but unless you have a big brake kit, painting calipers is like putting those darn fake vents on your car or a huge wing or better yet, racing stickers of things you don`t even have on your car. Not trying to give you a hard time, just informing so don`t everyone get pissy. It`s kinda like if someone new comes on here and says turtle wax is the best wax ever, people will most def give their 2 cents. If you do have a bbk, then by all mean go for it.
    Uh, its not for performance, its an appearance thing, yeah it does nothing but clean up the car and make the calipers look better which is why so many people are doing it.

AND FWIW, BBK, Brembo and the other high end brakes come prepainted.
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^I agree!!

Believe it or not not everybody paints it red or yellow so they can look like Porsche. Some people just want to get rid of the rusted look some old calipers get by painting them silver or black too. It sometimes looks terrible when you have a rusted or dull looking set of calipers behind brand spanking new wheels and rotors. Trust me nobody is going to mistake sliding single piston calipers for Brembos that have 6 pistons.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information