Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all I have a 2002 ford lightning these trucks have the textured plastic steps on the step side and on the rear bumper tail gate handle. the plastic is turning gray and fadded i wanted to know if any one has painted any plastic like this. I want to paint them black and clear them . if any one knows what would have to be done to paint them.

Post Thanks / Like
    `Unfortunately, the only method I\`m aware of that leaves a quality and durable finish involves sanding it down smooth using 400-600 grit, the same way you do interior black peices. Attempting to paint them while keeping the texture may prove to be difficult. In your case specifically, I\`d suggest either replacing the peices entirely to give it an OEM new finish, or sand them and after the normal primer etc. finish with as low gloss paint as you can find. I did it in a similar fashion when painting my 02 cbr 954RR a flat black since the fairings are also plastic. You can find more specifics on this method here painting plastic black in a variety of applications.`

Post Thanks / Like
    `You may be able to squeeze a little more life out of the plastic before you paint it. Try using some of this. Spray it on and let it sit for a while and then rinse it off with plain water just before the rubber cleaner dries. Maybe treat the faded plastic a couple of times to make sure it\`s clean and that all the \"dead\" plastic has been removed. After the plastic is dry, use some 303 Aerospace Protectant and see if the pieces still look faded. If they are too far gone painting may be the only choice, but this method will at least tell you if there is any life left in those pieces.`

Thread Information