Thread: Hood alignment?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my first brand new car, GT500, and thought wow, a new car, nnice straight lines, even gaps, well after awhile I noticed that the gap between my drivers side front fender and the hood is much wider than on the passenger side.

Some have told me to take it back to Ford and have them fix it, but Im curious if there are any body shop guys in here that know what goes into "fixing" it because I guess I just don`t see how they could without moving the fender or something which would cause a larger gap just elswhere which would not really solve anything just transfer the gap elswhere?

I played with the rubber stoppers which adjusted the height of the hood, that was cool, not helpful for me, but nice to know I guess.

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    depends on a lot of factors as to whether it`s worth foolin` with

:showpics

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it is under warranty I would take it back to the dealership and demand a fix.

As how bodyshops usually fixes the gap. One, they may adjust the driver side side fender to close the gap. If this fails, the entire hood needs adjustment (takes many hours to adjust right). It can be done correctly. I had mine corrected during a repair job, but had to leave the car for half a day.
    There is place like 127.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to adjust the fender, the hood or both. If it`s just the fender you can do it yourself, but it`s easier to adjust the hood with 2 people.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, I guess why Im asking on here before going in is because, Im thinking if you start moving the fender, then are you going to have a problem with the driver door lining up with the front fender or the front bumper not being flush?

If it was your own new car, would you all take it to a Ford dealer with their own body shop and let them play around it with it. My cars are like my kids, I hate letting anyone else touch them! haha

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstang95
    thanks guys, I guess why Im asking on here before going in is because, Im thinking if you start moving the fender, then are you going to have a problem with the driver door lining up with the front fender or the front bumper not being flush?

If it was your own new car, would you all take it to a Ford dealer with their own body shop and let them play around it with it. My cars are like my kids, I hate letting anyone else touch them! haha

thanks again

I would do it myself... I`m way more particular about my vehicle than they are. I don`t know where all of the bolts are on your fender, but I would start by loosening the bolts on top of your fender and gently push it in, then snug them in, check gaps and then re-adjust...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jshillin
    I would do it myself... I`m way more particular about my vehicle than they are. I don`t know where all of the bolts are on your fender, but I would start by loosening the bolts on top of your fender and gently push it in, then snug them in, check gaps and then re-adjust...

Good thinking, I assume those bolts are right under the hood inside that gap between the hood and fender?

Will that mess up my fitment of my fender and front bumper?

Now that I think of it, if my driver fender could move towards the hood 1/4 of an inch, I would be in business:heelclick so long as the bumper is still nice and flush as well as the driver door?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstang95
    Good thinking, I assume those bolts are right under the hood inside that gap between the hood and fender?

Will that mess up my fitment of my fender and front bumper?

Now that I think of it, if my driver fender could move towards the hood 1/4 of an inch, I would be in business:heelclick so long as the bumper is still nice and flush as well as the driver door?

The fender should be fastened in both of those areas as well so that they don`t move...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I went out and tried moving the fender, very easy to do. Worked like a charm near the front leading edge of the hood but not so well further back by the door. I think the hood would need to be moved towards the driver`s side in order to fit perfectly.

I could not get to the bolt that attaches the hood on the drivers side without a fancy wrench of some sort or removing the driver side fender all together.

I am satisfied I think the way it is though.

I dropped my dam wrench down in the engine bay and of course it got stuck on something because now I can`t find it and it didnt fall all the way through With my luck it will rattle but not rattle free

thanks again for the help with the alignment

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean... You`re not going to try to find the wrench ????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by .VorteX.
    What do you mean... You`re not going to try to find the wrench ????

haha no, I just couldnt find it, I know, beats me!

It fell near the rear corner drivers side, took it for a drive around my block to see if it came loose, and retraced my tracks, but nothing.

Its a smaller one, I dont think there is any moving parts back towards there so it should be fine I would think??

Merry Christmas

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it will. Merry Christmas.

Thread Information