Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesack
    noiiice! i had a 95 max with an injen intake. The only thing that i would say you might think about is that, as oppsed to running smooth piping, the crinkly (sp?) duct material you have allows for much more turbulence, and could be robbing you of even more power! but anyway, nice job man, and i know you`ll enjoy ur max!

if you owned the car (or can read the origional post) you will see that this is addition to the

the origional scoop so it will add more air and therefor more power

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Since the air goes into the stock intact tract at the mid-point, once in there it will be less turbulent.

Scott here are a few pics of a 01 Diamante I had and did a sim intake on, note...during a flash flood Sept 23 of 06 water was sucked into the engine via the intake totaling the car.

Online Car Audio Competition OCAC - Top Installs from around the World, Best Installers and Installation Shops

Online Car Audio Competition OCAC - Top Installs from around the World, Best Installers and Installation Shops

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imageautodetail
    Scott here are a few pics of a 01 Diamante I had and did a sim intake on, note...during a flash flood Sept 23 of 06 water was sucked into the engine via the intake totaling the car.

That is why I left the stock intake snorkel and tract in place. If the tube gets submerged (probably a good 2-3" higher than yours anyway), the airflow through the stock part will not allow the 4" dryer ducting to suck water all the way up to the air box.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by todd@bsaw
    I know lots of guys that have "swiss-cheesed" their stock air box. Take a 1/2" drill bit and just fill the air box with holes. Pulls more air into the intake and you do not have to worry about the possibility of hydrolock.
    Been there done that. Over on the org we call it the ghetto air box mod.

I eventually just got a real CAI. Now Im running that and a straight pip from the converter back.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want some performance without the noise get an aftermarket air filter but keep the stock air box,removing the ait box is what increases the noise.Im sure someone[k and n]has an oem performance replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did the stock tracting come from? In the fender somewhere I assume? I`m not knocking the mod. If you like it then it was worthwhile. However, I doubt it did anything for performance. The stock tracting is made to be "cold air". Unless you eliminate the bottle neck that is the entire box, filter, and tracting to the throttle body you probably won`t change the volume or velocity of air entering the engine. It is a nice looking execution and a good idea though!

And finding a 5HP gain on a dyno is close to impossible. I have a fair amount of dyno time and your numbers will vary 5-10 from run to run with no changes. Also, ram air type setups don`t show up on dynos. The need AIR to be RAMMED into them to have an effect. i.e. moving fast down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    um.....um.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the pictures. You can see the stock intake tract runs to the top of the radiator support, the part I attached the ducting to was a sealed end at the bottom of the tract (maybe be part of the resonator system?).

I`m going by what it widely posted in the dyno forum on maxima.org and in the intake threads. The gains are with the car sitting still so it is possible it is more at freeway speeds. One person reports picking up nearly 2 mph in trap speed with the mod I did and the GAB (opening up some holes in front of where the air filter is).
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, I`m not knocking it. I admire your ingenuity. I was just making a couple observations that maybe you hadn`t thought of.

And 2MPH is a great gain! Figure about 10HP per MPH gained. If nothing else you are adding an extra cold air source to the engine which is never a bad thing. I did some datalogging testing intake temps. and it was about 80 degrees lower intake temps pulling my headlight to get air straight into the filter rather than just having my filter sitting in the engine bay. And that was with a heat shield in place! I know somebody made a joke about pulling the headlight a few posts up but on my application it`s the best way to get cold air straight to the filter at the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    `I did some similar set-up on mine. $15 from a Canada auto parts shop. And yes, it chokes on water.`

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information