Post Thanks / Like
    i am wondering if anyone has anytips on finding a good bodyshop? i just got in an accident and i am the one paying for the repairs so i can pick what ever i want but i am just wondering if there are certain things to look for or ask bodyshops when getting quotes to help me pick.

Post Thanks / Like
    See if you can find a local car enthusiast forum or two and ask around there. Or ask for references in the regional sections here.

I used one recently and the thing that attracted me was that he did a lot of custom hot rod work, not just churning out fender-bender repairs for soccer moms. Repairs turned out flawless.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am from St.thomas Ontario, Canada. Does anyone know a good bodyshop in a 30 minute radius? there are lots around, i just dont know who to pick or how to decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    any shop that has mid to high quality automobiles,,,,,but the higher the auto,,mean they can get very expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, above and beyond a photo book of past projects, customer referrals are key. Chances are if they are willing to let you get in touch with their customers, they have loyal clients and are willing to stand behind their work.

-- DavidV

Post Thanks / Like
    Try asking some of the classic car dealers in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    If possible, visit the bodyshop and investigate the quality of the work

Post Thanks / Like
    One person told me if you want to find a good body shop, go around and get several estimates in your area. Take the highest two estimates and drive by their shop and see how busy they are. If they charge those kind of rates and still have people lining up for them to work on their cars, they must be good. I say this assuming you are willing to pay for good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I just went through a similar process for a small repair to the tail gate of her truck. It was kind of painful dealing with them.

Before they started we set the expectations and told the manager the following:

1. It will be perfect, not good, but perfect.

2. They will guarantee the work.

3. We will only accept perfection.

4. If it isn`t perfect, they will re-do it until it is.

5. Take as long as you need, we don`t use the truck much.

6. Do not call us until it is perfect.

7. Did I mention that I want it perfect? :bat

So.......I guess some people have a different idea of `perfect`.

I was expecting some holograms or something, so I put the lights to it when I got home. There was some dirt under the clear, so I marked the spots with tape. I stopped putting tape on at 34 pieces, not to mention the repair was obvious. Back to the dealership we go.

I won`t bore you with the 5 trips to the body shop, multiple resprays, multiple wetsanding and buffing, employees getting fired over it, idiot dealership owners, and offers to refund my money. :shocked

In the end, I didn`t want my money back. I explained that I wanted a perfect tailgate, just like I stated when I first consulted with the body shop manager (who was fired). It took several months and a lot of headaches, but I am satisfied with the work. (Not happy, but satisfied)

My advice is to be very upfront with what you want. The average person isn`t as OCD as the people on this site (myself included). Explain the difference between `good enough` and `perfect` to the service writers and the the guy working on it. If they can`t deliver, be prepared to thank them for being honest and take your business elsewhere. I was prepared to give the guy a decent tip had our tailgate been perfect the first time. Ask if they will stand behind their work and not stop until you are happy.

Search around your local Vette, BMW, Viper, etc. clubs and see who they recommend. Usually, that crowd is like us and expects a better job then the regular insurance `turn and burn` paint jobs.

Good luck,

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfection isn`t practical, especially on a truck that`s not perfect to begin with. If a shop guarantees "perfection", they`ll either put their foot in their mouth or they under estimate your criteria. When it comes to high quality body work and refinishing, perfection is a pretty bold and most likely unattainable.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Having worked in a bodyshop when I was in highschool (back in the dark ages) and now, working with a shop doing details after they repair cars, I can say that "perfection" is subjective and anybody that came to the shop asking for that would be referred down the street. Like I was told, we`re bodymen and painters - not God. I`ve seen very good paint work at reasonable prices, I`ve NEVER seen perfect, not from the factory and not from a shop either, if you look close enough, anybody can nit-pick something to death.

Thread Information