your point?:nixweiss

he said cams for a 1986 vette

and that was wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    your point?:nixweiss

he said cams for a 1986 vette

and that was wrong!
    You referred to him as an import guy because he said cams. I was just pointing out that domestic engines are DOHC sometimes too, not just imports Relax buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grease
    You referred to him as an import guy because he said cams. I was just pointing out that domestic engines are DOHC sometimes too, not just imports Relax buddy.

I am relaxed:werd:

it was a joke from two weeks ago.....that`s all

I am well aware of the varity of domestic engines thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I am familiar with both of your options: I am a Vette guy and currently own one and I once had a 70 cutlass and I`m thinking about picking up another one.

Here is my 2 cents on the matter of what vehicle you should pick. It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are interested in having a car to take to car shows then pick the Olds because it is older, it is a muscle car from the muscle car era. If you want an american sports car then take the vette.

There are a lot of car shows that only want cars 1980 and older in their car shows, so you couldn`t show the car even if you wanted to at some places. Some car shows let anything come in as long as you pay the entrance fee so either car would be fine.

Find out about the 442, was it originally a 442 from the factory or did someone turn it into a 442 along the way through badging, etc.. I wanted to point this out because an original 442 is worth more than a car that was turned into a 442.

Other than that... it is your preference as to what you want to be seen in. You can make anything work out in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya im really liking old muscle cars. But of coarse the gf loves american muscle..but shes affraid ill spend to much time on the car..preping for paint, and get stuff done like that. The vette will be fun, she loves it..but then again the horsepower defferents dont even compete between the 442 and corvette..the 442 will probably kill it off the line.. so i am sooo stuck its unbelievable

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any pictures of both cars. That could help make the decision once we see them a little closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pbfreak9999
    Hey guys im stucked in this decision.

I have about 8 grand to play with for new car. I new to do a vs. if thats alright.

Its a 1965 442 that has a completly rebuilt 350, rebuilt trainy, rebuilt everything,

The only down fall is the paint sucks, and interior. but i will have a few grand to play with the paint.

vs.

1988 corvette v8, only has exhaust, custom wheels, and tall lights. It has perfect paint and interior and have around 1500 to play with on performance. What could i do as far as performace if u think corvette.

What do u think would have more pontential in 1/4mile, reliabilty, overall louder, top speed.

Please no flaming, im really stuck

Thanks,

Adam
    Well you are talking two totally different cars. One with a monster motor, back seats, terrible brakes and terrible handling. The other, a precision instrument in its day, and still a sharp tool today in terms of handling. Brakes are still great for single stops, and the motor is decent but just barely by todays standards.

In the 1/4 mile, the 442 is a no-brainer. Reliability may depend more on the two cars in question specifically than the models in general. The newest of the bunch is 20 years old. Reliability could be all over the map depending on how they were cared for.

You can make any of them loud. Top speed, no question the `vette. I don`t think you`d want to do 150mph in a `65 442 even if it could pull it. But those 4-speed cars and low revving motors (though it`s a 350 and built, so who knows) ran out of revs before they ran out of power.

For $1500, if you are a handy guy (and if you aren`t, don`t buy the 442), the `vette could probably be pushing 250-270 whp at best, figure you could put some headers on, maybe swap the cam, and do a little porting on the intake or maybe swap the runners for some ported SLPs or something? I`m no expert on the L98 motor, though. But they don`t make big power easy with stock components. Still, it`s a 350 just like in that 442 (ugh).

What do you really want the car for? I`d think daily driving, fuel economy, long trips, etc, would all favor the `vette. But there`s no back seat and a small trunk. And it`s not going to be as fast or hairy as that 442 seems to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRJB
    Find out about the 442, was it originally a 442 from the factory or did someone turn it into a 442 along the way through badging, etc.. I wanted to point this out because an original 442 is worth more than a car that was turned into a 442.
    Without seeing the car, etc, I`d have to think it isn`t much of a collectible. The thing is stuffed with what sounds like a Chevy smallblock, and sounds like it`s set up as a drag car. I would have to think its collectible value as a 442 is gone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information