Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Screw the vette, don`t like them in that year range at all. They are nothing to look at and slow...

Post Thanks / Like
    pbfreak9999, what kind of cars have you owned before? I`m not sure I`d pick either of your choices for a DD, just curious what your DD is now, etc., maybe that will help with some recommendations as to which one would be best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 442 for sure. Nothing beats the look of the old muscle cars. If you redid the paint and the interior you could more than likely make money on selling it. I noticed that you said you wanted something to run 11s or now 10s. Just in case you did not know anything under 11.5 requires a roll cage by NHRA rules. I know becuase I ran an 11.49 last year and I was told not to come back until I got a cage. Just something to think about. I have 517rwhp in a 02 WS6, but I did that run at 4000Ft above sea level. Damn high altitudes suck for drag racing.

One other thing is that if the car was built for drag racing, it might not be particularly good as a daily driver. If the previous owner never intended it to be driven around town, the cooling system might now be sufficient enough for driving in high temperatures for extended periods of time. I know that some people with WS6 cars that have big cams have hat overheating issues in hot climates.

thats all i got

Post Thanks / Like
    ive owned an eclipse(97, hated it), driven mustang gts, and trans ams, right now im just getting back and forth with a 2000 sebring(setec astronomy)

and now im thinking about a 93-2002 camaro ls1, how do u feel about those..the only thing i hate about the camaro is u always see them..or maybe even buying a trans am

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI LS1 did not get put in the camaro/trans am until 1998. 93-97 had the LT1 in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a 60`s 442 is likely to be a culture shock in comparison to a more modern car, but if you`re keeping the Sebring, and the 442 will be just show/cruise, then maybe you`ll be ok. I myself could never go back to regularly driving a 60`s car and the last time I had one was in 1980...when they weren`t that old...although a 14 yo 60`s car was pretty damn old...in comparison to my `90 that I dumped when it was 16. My point is automotive engineering has steadily progressed and come a long way since the 60`s and I certainly wouldn`t have one as my only car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion,

Have a GOOD mechanic check out the engine & drivetrain on both, and really inspect the frame, undercarriage, suspension on both cars.

The 442 pulling 500 horses may or may not have been run hard, and 500 hp cars have been known to wreak havoc on frames due to stress. If you have access to a good body/frame person have him check these cars also.

I know its hard to co-ordinate this on an item that is for sale on the open market, but will be worth losing a car than being out 8 large and having a money pit for a car.

IMHO.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Dean...he knows a bit about buying/selling cars, besides the details he does on vintage ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya thats a great point dean, i just am not sure because im new to the florida area who i can get to do that, if my dad was down here he could, but hes not so im not sure.

I mean i could always just go to a late 90s early 2000 camaro, what do u think of those on the 1/4

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock Ls1 camaro/trans am are pretty good in the 1/4 mile. I know mine stock did 13.9 but once again I am at a high altitude. Thing I like about the cars, is that with a little suspension work they are very capable on the road course as well. If it wasn`t for all the GT3`s that show up to road course events here, I would be the fastest. If you want some more information on LS1 f-bodies you can check out ls1tech, it is a great forum for information on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks chaddy ill keep that in mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pbfreak9999
    ya thats a great point dean, i just am not sure because im new to the florida area who i can get to do that, if my dad was down here he could, but hes not so im not sure.

I mean i could always just go to a late 90s early 2000 camaro, what do u think of those on the 1/4

My buddy just upgraded from a `95 M6 Z28 to a `01 A4 SS, and he says the difference is quite noticeable. LS1 or bust imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pbfreak9999
    Hey guys im stucked in this decision.

I have about 8 grand to play with for new car. I new to do a vs. if thats alright.

Its a 1965 442 that has a completly rebuilt 350, rebuilt trainy, rebuilt everything,

The only down fall is the paint sucks, and interior. but i will have a few grand to play with the paint.

vs.

1988 corvette v8, only has exhaust, custom wheels, and tall lights. It has perfect paint and interior and have around 1500 to play with on performance. What could i do as far as performace if u think corvette.

What do u think would have more pontential in 1/4mile, reliabilty, overall louder, top speed.

Please no flaming, im really stuck

Thanks,

Adam

Buy a Vette! I`ve had a bunch of 86 to 92 Vettes and loved every one. Back in 1991 my 90 Vette ran 11:80 with some bolt-ons. Good gas mileage, safe and reliable (and A/C!!).

It`s more than likely that the 442 will need a mild resoration instead of just a face lift. It could run several thousand $$. It`s hard to find anyone down south that specializes in this better yet do a solid job.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    ya thats a good point david, the only thing that made me think more of the 442 now is he lowered the price so i will have even more money to play with

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    you must be an import car guy

there is only one cam!
    GM`s new global V6 is a DOHC...4 cams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information