Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need help deciding.

I am looking for a comfortable, quiet, good in the rain and snow, long lasting, good looking tire for my 2002 4Runner. It still has the OEM GoodYear`s @ 54k miles. They are terrible in the rain, lousy in the snow and handle like crap in general.

I live in NH and we get a fair amont of snow and rain.

I am looking at the following.

Bridgestone Revo AT`s

Toyo Open Country

Perilli Scorpions ATR

Can anyone give opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Which Goodyear tire do you have now? I`ve had both Goodyear and Pirelli Scorpions, multiple types and sizes. Out of the two, I like the Goodyear tires for mud/snow (off road) applications and the Pirelli Scorpions for dry and wet (road only) applications. The Pirelli tires are absolutely awesome for on

If I had your car, and were looking for a tire, and wanted a good all around type tire, I would choose the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. The only problem with Goodyears, which you are experiencing right now, is that once they become worn (40,000+ miles) their performance drops dramatically. I just pulled a set of Goodyear AT/S`s off my father`s truck after 44,000 miles, and even after rotating and balancing them every 6,000 miles, they are shot. Yours have 54k miles, so they must be pretty bad.

Also, be careful when you include "long lasting" with "high performance" in the tire world. I am finding that the longer lasting tires are usually made with a harder compound which gives less performance, short and even more long term. The higher performing tires will almost always last less, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have these

Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | Display | Wrangler RT/S

I would say the first 25k were acceptable, but then after that snow especially, they became terrible, but I didn`t drive very far to work, so it was not a problem. My RWD BMW with Michelin Pilot Alips goes better in the snow. Anyway, I am not opposed to the silent armor, they look nice and seem to get favorable reviews on tire rack, although the most expensive of the ones I am looking at.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    Which Goodyear tire do you have now? I`ve had both Goodyear and Pirelli Scorpions, multiple types and sizes. Out of the two, I like the Goodyear tires for mud/snow (off road) applications and the Pirelli Scorpions for dry and wet (road only) applications.

If I had your car, and were looking for a tire, and wanted a good all around type tire, I would choose the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. The only problem with Goodyears, which you are experiencing right now, is that once they become worn (40,000+ miles) their performance drops dramatically.

Also, be careful when you include "long lasting" with "high performance" in the tire world. I am finding that the longer lasting tires are usually made with a harder compound which gives less performance, short and long term. The higher performing tires will almost always last less, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2004 4-Runner and put on the Revo A/T`s. They are quiet for a All Terrain but they are not family sedan quiet. They are fantastic in the snow and rain (I have the Sport Edition V8 so it has full-time 4WD). I have never been stuck in any snow or had a problem splashing through a huge puddle. I live a dirt road and in Mass so I know the challenges of driving in New England.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS

Yeah, I had the RT/S`s on an Explorer that I used to have, and I wasn`t impressed with them either. They look decent, but were a little noisy for my taste.

If you decide to go with the Goodyear`s, go with the SilentArmors, you will love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    Yeah, I had the RT/S`s on an Explorer that I used to have, and I wasn`t impressed with them either. They look decent, but were a little noisy for my taste.

If you decide to go with the Goodyear`s, go with the SilentArmors, you will love them.

Do you have personal experience with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can not recommend a specific tire as I have no experience with SUV tires. Though, I have owned many different brands of tires on passenger sedans and Michelin has always outperformed the competition. They are a very balanced tire (meaning they do well in all categories including longevity, have had 3 sets last me over 80,000mi) and are competitively priced.

-Frank
    Wahoo!! I have a UDM!!!

My car: `02 Civic EX 4DR Burgundy Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS
    Do you have personal experience with them?

No personal experience with the SilentArmors, but we have had several sets of the AT/S which is what the SilentArmor is based on (treadwise), only better. I was about to replace my father`s set of AT/S`s with them after doing a lot of research, but we ended up buying a set of 20" factory wheels and tires which came with the Pirelli Scorpions already mounted on them, otherwise I would have gone with the SilentArmors without question.

Here are some reviews that may help:

TireRack.com Tire Reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    There are lots of good truck tires that would fit your bill. All your choices would be great -- but I have no experience with them. I currently have Firestone Destination ATs, and love them. They are about the best bang-for-the-buck AT tire out there (check tirerack`s ratings). I`ve also had Michelin LTX M/S, and really like them as well. Continental Conticraps have been the worst -- that`s why I replaced them at 800 miles. I had a set of the older Pirelli Scorpion ATs on an Explorer, and I really like them. The ride wasn`t as good, and they were noisier than the Destination ATs.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the bridgestone REVO`s. $75 rebate sold me.

The thing I am dissapointed in is that the shop that did them scuffed up my rims where the weights are and in the center. I have been going to this place for a few years, I guess I thought they had their act together. The rims were spotless after 5 years.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the above poster said, go to tirerack.com, punch in your tire size and look under the survey or reviews section. You can then really figure out which tires rate well by other people who own that particular tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the Nitto Terra Grappler`s. I am currently running BFG All-Terrain`s but those will be my next tire. Everyone I know who runs them loves them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put on a set of Kumho Road Venture HTs on my truck a year or two ago and I`ve been nothing but amazed at how well they perform.

Since you want something for more rugged conditions, look into the Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78 (which I plan to get once my current tires need to be replaced).

Another tire I`ve heard great things about is the Bridgestone AT REVOs. A lot more pricey, but the big truck guys dig `em.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Revo`s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information