Post Thanks / Like
    The windshield on my 2001 Infiniti I30 got hit by a rock the other day while I was driving on the highway, and it left a small crack. I have full glass coverage and the insurance company sent someone out to repair it. The repair still left the crack visible so they`ve agreed to replace the whole windshield, however I`m concerned about non-OEM parts being used. Is a PPG or Pilkington windshield as good as an original Nissan one? The insurance company claims it is, and isn`t sure about trim and moulding replacement.

Does anyone know a good auto glass shop in Richmond/Williamsburg/VA Beach? I don`t want Safelite anywhere near my car.
    2001 Infiniti I30A

Upgrades: XM Radio

Coming: I35 Grill

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to replace the windshield in my previous vehicle, and everyone assured me that the aftermarket windshield was exactly the same as oem, etc. etc. Well, evidently, the aftermarket windshield wasn`t installed correctly and it cracked right down the middle when the very first big cold front of the year came in. The windshield was fine when I got home, I woke up the next morning (20 degrees colder) and the crack was there. No chips or anything.

I was told that it was installed incorrectly because the crack was caused by stress, yet it was in my driveway. The kicker of the whole thing was that when I went back to my dealer who had this aftermarket windshield installed, they couldn`t warranty it because it wasn`t oem, and they said that the company they used went out of business. It was at *this* time that they started telling me that aftermarket windshields are inferior to oem ones.

Needless to say, I was furious, but there was nothing I could do because I opted to go with the aftermarket glass to save $200. Never again. Now I let the dealer do the whole job using oem glass. It`s more money, but they are responsible and its covered under your normal manufacturer`s warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have full glass coverage, so it is paid for by insurance. And doing some research, there may be something to what they are saying. Pilkington and PPG are both OEM manufacturers for major auto manufacturers, so the glass would be identical except that it wouldn`t have the manufacturer logo on it. I`m still going to try to get them to pay for a Nissan windshield though.
    2001 Infiniti I30A

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t realize glass coverage worked like that. You should be okay no matter what then.

Here`s something else to think about. I don`t know if this pertains to you, but it happened to me as well. In newer Ford SUV`s, and pickups the Ford windshields have a dot matrix looking grid across the top of the windshield in place of the usual blue or bronze tint. The pickups actually have the letters "F150" across the top by the mirror, which imo, looks pretty good. I like the "dots" a lot better than the regular tint, and you would only get this by going with the oem glass.

Like I said, I don`t know if your windshield has any kind of special design or anything, but its something to look at because, if it does, you will lose it with an aftermarket piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    I didn`t realize glass coverage worked like that. You should be okay no matter what then.

Here`s something else to think about. I don`t know if this pertains to you, but it happened to me as well. In newer Ford SUV`s, and pickups the Ford windshields have a dot matrix looking grid across the top of the windshield in place of the usual blue or bronze tint. The pickups actually have the letters "F150" across the top by the mirror, which imo, looks pretty good. I like the "dots" a lot better than the regular tint, and you would only get this by going with the oem glass.

Like I said, I don`t know if your windshield has any kind of special design or anything, but its something to look at because, if it does, you will lose it with an aftermarket piece.

Good point. I don`t think it has anything special other than anything it would have to have for the electrochromatic mirror, but I will be sure to look at it. I really hope I can get them to pay for a Nissan replacement though.
    2001 Infiniti I30A

Thread Information