Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I have noticed a fine circular scratch in the middle of my rear window of my car and would like to know if it`s possible to remove in any way ?

The scratch is very light and my finger does not stop on it but can be seen by inside when looking through rear mirror :nervous:

This must of happened at a car wash with a pebble in wash glove...

I would really want to try to remove or at least make it less obvious from inside the car .

Much appreciated if anyone has an idea or product/tool that i can try myself .

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood sells a ket to remove scratches from glass. I purchased it about 2 years ago but have been a bit scared to try it. I need to get a scrap windsheild and try it out before I would be comfortable using it on my muscle car.

Has anyone else used this kit that can offer insight?
    1972 Scout II

1986 Monte Carlo SS

1989 Jeep Wrangler

1992 GMC Jimmy

1994 Chevy Silverado Show truck

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the kit from JCWhitney but it was the same kit I`m sure. A felt pad/mandrel for a power drill and a tub of cerium oxide.

It worked really well on the wife`s Camaro windshield but required 45 - 60 min. of polishing to remove the wiper scrapes.

The results were so good I`d do it again - no distortion in the glass either.

Diamondite makes a few kits for scratch removal also.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    My scratches are smack in the middle of the rear window , does this make a difference on the product usage?

I really want to try something but really would like to take all the precautions.

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnvdub
    My scratches are smack in the middle of the rear window , does this make a difference on the product usage?

I really want to try something but really would like to take all the precautions.

thanks again
    On the outside right? I don`t see a problem with any location on the outside of the glass.

The inside would be very difficult with the heater strip tape but from what I can figure out, yours scratches are on the outside.

Left side, right side, middle, top, bottom - all would be good for the scratch removal kits I`ve seen.

You`ll need a corded electric drill, a cordless won`t last long enough.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    John:

Thanks for the reply. I can pull a window out of a car that was donated for a Fire Dept. drill and try it out. If I am comfortable with it I`ll try it on my good car. I`ll let you know how it all works out.
    1972 Scout II

1986 Monte Carlo SS

1989 Jeep Wrangler

1992 GMC Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    The scratch is on the outside and annoying as I see it when looking in my rear view mirror ( middle top ).

I cannot seem to catch my finger in it and it`s circular as a pebble was probably in the glove used to wash the car .

Is there any danger of the glass breaking or becoming hazed or distorted from the polish action if I don`t do it correctly ?

Hey 5toclean... Thanks for that help in testing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The scratch is on the outside and annoying as I see it when looking in my rear view mirror ( middle top ).

I cannot seem to catch my finger in it and it`s circular as a pebble was probably in the glove used to wash the car .

Is there any danger of the glass breaking or becoming hazed or distorted from the polish action if I don`t do it correctly ?

Hey 5toclean... Thanks for that help in testing it.
    No danger.

Cerium oxide is made to polish telescope lenses and they`re made out of glass, just like your windshield. The end result will be a super clear and clean window.

It`s pretty well impossible to do the job wrong.

Make a thick slurry of the cerium oxide and a little water. Apply it to the scratched area. Polish with the felt pad in the electric drill.

After 5 min, or when the polish seems to get thin and vanish, wipe with a cloth and look at your results.

Repeat until the scratch is gone.

It`s that simple.

Caution: The cerium oxide is very, very, very, mildly radioactive, like the glow in the dark watches of the old days. Keep the spare powder on a shelf in the basement between jobs, not in your front pocket.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for your advice. Now I only need to decide from which company to order the stuff ... any preferences in regards to quality / price from the above mentioned.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for your advice. Now I only need to decide from which company to order the stuff ... any preferences in regards to quality / price from the above mentioned.

John
    From what I remember, the Eastwood kit and the JCWhitney kit are virtually identical and the Diamondite kit (from autogeek?) seemed a step above in both materials and cost.

All companies are reputable, so it`s a coin toss. Order from whichever you`re comfortable with.

Of course, if you want to drive 14000+kms and bring a Molson`s or two, we could use my kit and `get `er done.`

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... sounds like a plan , I`ll get back to you

Can you tell me indeed if these are the kits Eastwood Co. - Glass Polishing Kit Pro

or

DiamonditeĂ‚® Glass Repair System Kit for Machine Application - Automotive Glass Care

Much appreciated !

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... sounds like a plan , I`ll get back to you

Can you tell me indeed if these are the kits Eastwood Co. - Glass Polishing Kit Pro

or

DiamonditeĂ‚® Glass Repair System Kit for Machine Application - Automotive Glass Care

Much appreciated !

John
    yes, those are the ones.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC
    No danger.

Cerium oxide is made to polish telescope lenses and they`re made out of glass, just like your windshield. The end result will be a super clear and clean window.

Make a thick slurry of the cerium oxide and a little water. Apply it to the scratched area. Polish with the felt pad in the electric drill.

After 5 min, or when the polish seems to get thin and vanish, wipe with a cloth and look at your results.

It`s that simple.

Caution: The cerium oxide is very, very, very, mildly radioactive, like the glow in the dark watches of the old days. Keep the spare powder on a shelf in the basement between jobs, not in your front pocket.

-John C.
    Hmmmm, Since I work with very large quantities of radioisotope every day it will be easy to test how "Active" this material is. I`ll let you know when I get back home from this business trip.
    1972 Scout II

1986 Monte Carlo SS

1989 Jeep Wrangler

1992 GMC Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC
    No danger.

It`s that simple.

Hello,....just bought a can of Cerium oxide and plannig to remove scratches cause by dirty wiper blade.

Question, What kind of pad should I use with it? Can I use polishing/cutting pad that design for car`s paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by opass
    Hello,....just bought a can of Cerium oxide and plannig to remove scratches cause by dirty wiper blade.

Question, What kind of pad should I use with it? Can I use polishing/cutting pad that design for car`s paint?
    The CO will be perfect for you, the same situation I had to deal with.

I`d go with the same type of dense felt pad that comes with the kits listed earlier because I`m thinking only the heavy felt type can give the kind of `bite` and strength needed for working with glass. The softer foam ones would just wear out and break apart way too soon.

The felt ones are common so you shouldn`t have trouble finding one locally.

-John C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information