Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the galvanized finish on my AC Hydraulic jackstands....

It`s somewhat flakey, etc.

So I`ve got a couple of options...

send them out for powdercoat

just DIY wetsand/rustoleum paint them

Or better yet ....have then finished...in something I like.

I love the *texture* of anodized aluminum. But the jack material is steel and anodizing is only

for aluminum.

Whaddya guys suggest to get that textured look ?

Post Thanks / Like
    What makes you think that anodizing is a textured look?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all anodizing I`ve only seen the textured look on anozided aluminum items.

Don`t recall ever seeing a PC textured item....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`am confused, do you have a picture of what you want it to look like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong
    Not all anodizing I`ve only seen the textured look on anozided aluminum items.

Huh?

What are you talking about by "textured"? Do you mean like a crackle finish? Anodize doesn`t do that. There are 3 types of anodize (Types I, II, and III). These are all formations of oxide (aluminum oxide) on the outside of the part (as well as some penetration into the metal).

Type I is chromic acid and is extremely thin, like 60 millionths to .0001. It adds no texture, although depending on the form of the aluminum and the surface finish, you may see some grain (yes, much aluminum has grain like wood, since it is extruded and therefore has a longitudinal or grain direction). It is usually a distinctive gray color, although when it is very thin it is more of a tan or gold.

Type II is a sulfuric acid process which is also very thin, .0002 usually, and also will not give any texture. This is usually a "clear" process, which can be easily dyed in various colors, so if you see bright colors, it`s generally Type II.

Type III is a thick, low-temperature sulfuric process, which creates nominally a .002 thick coating, but can be made thicker for repairs, depending on the alloy. Type III when very thick can develop a crazed or mottled appearance...I suppose you could call it "textured". Type III is usually used for wear resistance, where it would replace a chrome plating, because it is "sapphire hard". Type III takes on a distinctive color depending on alloy, ranging from olive drab to gray to black.

All that said, the anodize will follow the texture of the aluminum substrate. Are you possibly remembering a part that may have been engine turned, sand blasted, etc. to provide a texture?

Post Thanks / Like
    The finish is a rough/textured finish.....kinda like what you may see on some of the MTB bikes I have seen.

You bring a good point I was not thinking, which was what was the texure underneath the product.

I guess I see what the options are this week, planning to swing by a powdercoating shop this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chefwong

You bring a good point I was not thinking, which was what was the texure underneath the product.

That`s just the thing, anodize is not a "product" like paint or powder coat, it is an oxide electolytically formed on the surface and beneath the surface of the aluminum. It is really an electroplating process, except instead of depositing another metal on the substrate, it is oxidizing the aluminum.

Thread Information