Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I recently bought a `05 Infinity G35 with factory 18" sports rims. The problem is the rims are covered with brake dust and it won`t come off.

I tried claying it and that didn`t do much except make the surface real smooth. I sprayed some Simple Green and worked it in with a nylon brush and that didn`t help. I then bought Meguiars Hot Rims all wheel cleaner and that didn`t work either.

I was wondering what are some more aggressive products I could use without damaging the rims. I have heard of Poorboys Spray and Rinse Cleaner to be pretty aggressive (pH = 4).

What do you professional detailers use to get baked on dust off rims? Also, does anyone know if the G35 has clearcoat on the rims. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try using Eagle One Tire/Wheel cleaner or Meguiars Wheel Brightener. Both are strong products, so you should use proper care in protecting your hands, eyes, etc.

Search around, and you`ll find more info.

BTW, it`s Infiniti, not Infinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try both of these, industrial or very strong "degreaser" multipurpose grease remover. Saturate it with that, and use boiling hot water to maybe try and melt or thin it a bid and keep scraping at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use wheel acid....you can not use it on all rims though...and if you use it wrong well then the results will be bad ....but honestly never had a prob with it

Post Thanks / Like
    EO All Wheel & Tire usually does a pretty good job on neglected wheels for me. Try it out and use a wheel brush to agitate it.
    02 Mustang GT - True Blue

02 Maxima SE - Sterling Mist

97 Ranger SuperCab XLT - Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to get away from the simple OTC products and find a local supplier and get a professional line of acid. I use JD`s acid. it`s cheap ($9 a gallon) but can only be gotten at a professional cleaning supply shop and will melt off even the most crusted/rusted on brake dust no matter how long it`s been sitting. (It`s basically a concentrated form of Hydo and sulfuic acids) Like said though. It`s extreamly nasty to after market fragil rims. Most stock rims will have no issues if you follow the directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    HEY i sell wheel acid and non-acid wheel cleaner by the gallon, 5-gallon, and 55 gallon drums... the acid is mainly for chrome b/c it`ll put nasty white stains on aluminum or eat thru paint, but the C-40 Braker is a viscous gel that we supply to many BMW/Volvo/Benz dealers. good stuff! let me know if you`re in nj or PA area and i`ll hook you up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oven cleaner works as well. Just be careful what kind of rims you use it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful, eyesack, I don`t believe you`re allowed to promote your own products on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the stubborn stuff my best results usually combine letting the product dwell for some time, a good stiff wheel brush, elbow grease, and a steam cleaner...applied in that order. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    At my dealership we use 3M Acid Wheel Cleaner to and a bit of elbow grease to remove the baked on stuff.

We don`t use it on aftermarket rims though. But since your car is a new car and probably has the stock rims (which are probably clearcoated), I wouldn`t worry about them.

Thread Information