Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had some professional bodyshop fix something on my cars paint before. i`m MAINLY hoping that i will be happy with the end results?. i`m hoping things will return back to normal and that i won`t know the difference AND that the new paint job fix will be strong and durable?. what do you guys think?, do paintshops do good jobs on cars with issue`s like mines?. will this re-paint last the life of the car?. i hope i can wax over it and clay it when needed in the future and all the natural things "one" would do to their cars paint-hoping that it won`t tear or chip away.

And another thing, would you folks rather get your car re-painted, fixed and patched up or buy a whole new trunk lid and all?. I called the Honda dealership i bought the car from and they said "yes" they can order another whole OEM trunk lid WITH spoiler attatched and all but it wouldn`t be painted. that i`d have to have THEM send it out to have it painted.

yay or nay on the re-paint and fix VERSUS buying a whole new OEM trunk lid?. Just asking cause like i said before. i`m worried that my Si`s trunk lid will not be normal ever again. :nixweiss

^^^ALL GIVEN THAT THIS COLLISION, PAINT REPAIR BODYSHOP IS ALL HONDA CRACKS IT UP TO BE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnold
    Yeah i`ll have to post some pictures when i get it all fixed up. meanwhile, what should i do to keep it from rusting over?. i was thinking of putting a big round magnet on it so that it won`t get moisture on it or it won`t get wet cause the magnet will seal good enough to keep water away. i didn`t wanna cover it up with paint or anything cause i wanted the paint tech to see it in all it`s glory.

Spray it with some WD-40 for hte meantime
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    first off, congrats on the new ride! second, it`s a shame that people these days can`t respect others property, especially when it`s done out of jealousy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks man!. yeah i have no idea who did it or why. i don`t have any enemies what so ever. probably do to the fact that i have no friends lol. but it happened at work and nobody seen it. i parked WAY outthere in the middle of nowhere and nobody STILL didn`t see it happen. i wasn`t around any trees or rocks etc. Just can`t get around it.

Most other people have been hit harder by vandals. but it`s hard to let go when you`ve only had the car for ONLY 2 months. i`ve only made 1 payment so far and the car ONLY has like 1030 miles on it!. I`m doing my research on the ABSOLUTE BEST car alarm. i think now i need one.

i put a nice flat car magnet on my trunk lid so that it`ll eventually seal itself and keep moisture out and away from the metal panel. i`ll peel it away ever other day to check it out to make sure it`s not getting worse rust on it. i`m afraid of spraying WD-40 on it cause i`m afraid it will seap down into the air pockets thats surrounding the dent. there is dead paint lifted from where the center of the dent mark is thats down to the bare metal. i suppose i could dip a Q-Tip in WD-40 and then touch 2 or 3 times in the center and keep it somewhat soaked but not dripping wet with WD-40. i hope a magnet won`t lift the paint or make anything worse. i need to make some time to take it down to the collision/paint autoshop and get atleast an estimate.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WD40 is the proper temporary fix. They will completely clean the surface b4 paint...

My biggest concern with the repair would be the amount of orange peel on the refinished paint. Don`t expect a mirror finish, but it should be comparable to the other panels on the car. Do your inspection inside, with fluorescent lighting. Compare panels and judge the `waviness` of the reflected fluorescent tubes.

Most shops just don`t block/wet sand enough, because most customers don`t see it.

Good Luck

JB
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    where do you live in Florida?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^I live in the (Southwest) area

You guys think they won`t do a good "blending" job with the surface (filler)?.

Should I mention the light checking of the differences in the panel level surfaces?

I`m sorry but what is "orange peel"?

Jimmy Buffit: can you elaborate on your comment a bit better for me cause I KINDA didn`t understand much of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    bondo and repaint

and no bodyshop is ever going to tell you that they don`t match paint very well, if they did nobody would ever go. Let me tell you - you will NEVER match the factory paint 100%. Can you get 90 or 95%? Maybe, but that`s difference enough for ME to notice, and I would be very aggravated. Moral of the story...try at ALL COSTS to avoid getting any paintwork done, even though I know there was nothing you could do about this.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orange peel refers to the surface of the paint. OP is not smooth or flat; it is made up of `hills and valleys`, or highs and lows, in the surface of the paint. In a perfect world, the `highs` are sanded down to be level with the `lows`, and we have a flat surface. Perfectly flat paint is rare, and some OP is `acceptable` to manufacturers.

The 1st picture is the reflection of bare light tubes (ceiling mounted) from the flat GLASS of the windshield. Notice the crisp edges on the tubes.

The 2nd picture is the reflection THE SAME LIGHT from the hood of the Nissan Sentra. Note the `waviness` of the tubes, and the general lack of clarity of the reflection.

That is Orange Peel.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    ^cool!. Hey, since my paint is broken through right down to the bare metal, I can`t have a PDR guy fix the dent then right?.

I`ve been reading on how PDR can`t be done if there is damage to the paint I.E. what I have on my trunk-yes or no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy. That is terrible. Sorry to see that. Karma is a tenacious little monkey though; whoever did this has got it coming.

Someone caused a 4"x6" area of scratched paint on my car`s front bumper 3 days after I bought it brand new last year. I know how that feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH man ^that^ SUCKS bro!. Well, i`ve kinda gotten over the whole FACT that it has happened, now I have to get it done and repainted and all but like I said before, I`m just hoping to HELL that the repaint is all good and perfect without me noticing it much or at all. I`m going to go with the collision bodyshop that HONDA told me that they have do all their body work and repaints. Everytime I pass by that collision place on my way to work (cause it`s on my way to work) I always see BMW`s and Mercedes EVERYWHERE!. This collision bodyshop does work for HONDA, VW, BMW and Mercedes. But I MAINLY see BMW`s all over the place overthere when I pass by every morning on my way to work. Why do I mention this you ask?, well because by seeing BMW`s all over the place on their lot, I get a GOOD safe sense of "HOPE" cause if this collision bodyshop does BMW and Mercedes paint and body work, they`ll have NO PROBLEM doing a HONDA paintjob right?.

**FINGERS CROSSED**

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to ask you, how did YOU go about getting that damage to your new car fixed if you don`t mind?. How much did it cost you and where you happy with the end results?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about you Honda, it`s a sweet ride, i had damaged on my truck a few yrs ago and instead i paid it up front about 700.00 dollars because i got the paint, primer ,reducer and clear from work so my payment was less and my deductible. from my ins. was 500.00 so i just pay myself . So my insurance won`t go up, the shop was called Carstar. I think you might find one in your area. They did a great job and i try to see if the paint match or not and i could not tell at all.(I spent almost 30 Min`s on it) Good luck!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information