Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    heres the deal. I am 13 years old and i own a 77 911 (project car FYI). i have earned enouph money for the best paint job in the state 5,000 dollars. However i have a lot more things to do to the car then just painting it. i need to basicly prep the car for painting myself, to save money. should i sand the car down? what should i do? i need to know how to do this and what else i should do. i want to make this a COMPLETE NEW PAINT JOB. i dont want to half *** this job. any ideas??WHAT SHOULD I DO?

-daniel W

Post Thanks / Like
    i think your best bet would be to go into the detailing forum and ask this ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I don`t know how well you are at bodywork, but don`t worry about sanding the whole car down, just worry about fixing the rust and dents. Congrats on having good vision and being able to save that much at a young age. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, and removing trim pieces and the headlights and such will definately save shop time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im confused, you are painting it or are you paying a shop to paint it?

$5,000 is the best paint job in the state of Virginia? Sounds like the average price for painting an entire car.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re just looking to save body shop hours, pull the trim, headlights, tail lights, wipers, sideskirts, etc. yourself. Obviously, this won`t leave you with a driveable car. I did mine in the bodyshop parking lot. Removing trim and other bits will keep the shop from being lazy and masking them which can result in overspray and other headaches. If there`s rust, I recommend knocking it down to surface rust and applying an encapsulator such as POR15 or RustBullet. Most body shops don`t beleive in such products and use more traditional methods such as metal replacement, sanding to bare metal and acid etching, etc. I would leave dent pulling, sanding, and bondo type work to the pros if you don`t have experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by splattj
    I would leave dent pulling, sanding, and bondo type work to the pros if you don`t have experience.
    Agreed...have fun man. Any pictures?
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    And once it`s all said and done, don`t wax the car for at least 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always heard that if you decide to paint the car a different color, get the ENTIRE vehicle painted; crappy painters will only paint the exposed surface of the car and disregard the under panels (inside of engine bay, doors, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    heres the deal. I am 13 years old and i own a 77 911 (project car FYI). i have earned enouph money for the best paint job in the state 5,000 dollars. However i have a lot more things to do to the car then just painting it. i need to basicly prep the car for painting myself, to save money. should i sand the car down? what should i do? i need to know how to do this and what else i should do. i want to make this a COMPLETE NEW PAINT JOB. i dont want to half *** this job. any ideas??WHAT SHOULD I DO?

-daniel W

If you don`t mind me asking, where in VA are you getting your car painted? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon469
    If you don`t mind me asking, where in VA are you getting your car painted? Thanks.

euro specialtys... and to address the guy asking about the 5,000 best paint job in VA... i shouldnt have said best paint job in VA. but hes the best paint job in my area. ive never heard of any better. and the reason its 5,000 is because he is a close family freind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by splattj
    If you`re just looking to save body shop hours, pull the trim, headlights, tail lights, wipers, sideskirts, etc. yourself. Obviously, this won`t leave you with a driveable car. I did mine in the bodyshop parking lot. Removing trim and other bits will keep the shop from being lazy and masking them which can result in overspray and other headaches. If there`s rust, I recommend knocking it down to surface rust and applying an encapsulator such as POR15 or RustBullet. Most body shops don`t beleive in such products and use more traditional methods such as metal replacement, sanding to bare metal and acid etching, etc. I would leave dent pulling, sanding, and bondo type work to the pros if you don`t have experience.

He is only 13 and won`t be driving it anyways. Take off all you can and have it towed.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a few trailers, getting it there is no problom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tensix
    He is only 13 and won`t be driving it anyways. Take off all you can and have it towed.

Hey, I remember alot of 13 yr olds that had there own car when I was in middle school and highschool. There parent didn`t care for them to drive the car.

Also didn`t Nick hogan drive his supra at 14 ????
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jesselyons2002
    Hey, I remember alot of 13 yr olds that had there own car when I was in middle school and highschool. There parent didn`t care for them to drive the car.

Also didn`t Nick hogan drive his supra at 14 ????

Lol, thats what i heard but that kid is an ediot. A kid at my school went to a party that he was at. The kid i know`s freind stole nick hogans drugs. But thats just what i heard. There all ediots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information