Post Thanks / Like
    Need some opinions on repairing this crack on the front bumper on the passenger side. It looks like it`s been split open near the crease. The only way to see it is from the angle I took the pics, so it`s not too conspicuous. I just want that thing closed. I was hoping that I can just take it to a body shop, have them seal it up and I can just touch it up since it`s not too obvious of an area. Not looking for perfection.

I asked a body repair shop guy and he said that there was no way he can just close it up. The only way is to seal the crack and repaint the entire bumper. I mean I don`t need it perfect looking, which he was probably going for, I just wanted it closed.

Anyone know the best way to seal the crack without having to repaint the entire bumper? Probably some body repair experts can chime in? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m afraid I`m with the guy at the shop. They do make products to patch and fill plastic bumpers but it`s gonna involve some sanding, just like any bodywork. Once the filler is applied it will need to be painted, just like any bodywork.

MorBiD

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the crack is on the inside of the fender portion of the bumper i dont see why the entire bumper would need a repaint. Definetly the bumper will need to be removed to fix the crack...my approach would be add some support in the back of the crack..ie inside the bumper with fibreglass or other to receive the filler and provide strenth to the inner radius and then fill in the crack from the painted side. A skilled painter could just touch up the sanded area with an airbrush and just slightly blend with the side of the bumper. IMO too many bodyshop are eager to repaint an entire surface or part when just a touch-up or minor airbrush can be done with proper buffing and polishing..they rather go with the easy way but in the process you loose the original paint and all its integrity...

Just shop around for a shop that does airbrush scratch repair they should be able to help you.

I`m an advocate that if you don`t need major restoration why do a full repaint when with some time and skill do can do wonders..Isn`t what detailing is all about?....I`d rather try the least invasive approach first and try to save the original paint at all cost and if all else fail then look into a full repaint...just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    The repair procedure for urethane,SMC, and other plastic bumpers uses backing and putties made for plastic which fiberglass is not.

I`ve done a lot bodywork on bumpers, fenders as well as whole cars and I can tell you from experience that it`s infinetly more harder (takes longer) to try and make a small two or three inch area blend into the rest of the panel than it is the re-shoot the entire panel.

Not to mention it plain looks better. Look for a PDR (Portable Dent Repair) service in your area, maybe they can patch it for you on the cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Morbid, i fully agree with you on fiberglass not being made for plastic...bad call on my part if its a urethane bumper...however if its an aftermaket bumper that was made of fiberglass like many are...then fiberglass backing would be the proper material to use..

I beg to differ though on the looking better if repainted..granted if the bumper is well prepared and carefully painted it should look as good as new...but from experience things can go quite the opposite..orange peel comes to mind for starters...paint matching issue specially if the car is a few years old...paint filling in creases that normally should show...believe me i can tell you horror stories...lets just say that i once had a dealer redo a bumper 4 times until they got it right and it still did not match perfectly with the rest of the older paint..and the car was also black and which i found out after many hours of polishing that black paint is the hardest color for hiding defects...but well buff, polished, and waxed it looks like water on ice..

I think we can agree that the key here is looking around at different shops to see all possible alternatives...

Post Thanks / Like
    ActionPack:

The skill of the painter and the quality of the shop always come into play. No question there and I`m with you on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve fixed several things like that with a plastic welder I`d "v" that down and weld it up then sand down and apply some spot filler

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I just took it to another body shop for 2nd opinion and he said he won`t even touch it since it`s plastic and gave an explanation that didn`t even make sense. Seemed like he didn`t want to bother with something so minor. Keep in mind that both places are very reputable here in southern california...but I didn`t expect the type of responses they gave me.

Maybe I should crazy glue it lol, but I don`t think that will even hold it...I have to apply so much pressure to squeeze it closed.

You guys think a PDR can repair this? Do they actually remove bumpers and have the necessary tools to close up a crack? I will try calling one tomorrow. Getting sick of body repair shops...seems like if I don`t get a $4000 paint job, they treat me like dirt.

Thanks for the help you guys. I forgot about PDR`s

Post Thanks / Like
    A plastic welder is CHEAP once you have one you`ll use it more then you ever dream of ...

If YOU remove the bumper and weld it from behind you could keep it from spreading larger it might not be perfect but it`ll prevent ripping

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Parolee
    Well I just took it to another body shop for 2nd opinion and he said he won`t even touch it since it`s plastic and gave an explanation that didn`t even make sense. Seemed like he didn`t want to bother with something so minor. Keep in mind that both places are very reputable here in southern california...but I didn`t expect the type of responses they gave me.

Maybe I should crazy glue it lol, but I don`t think that will even hold it...I have to apply so much pressure to squeeze it closed.

You guys think a PDR can repair this? Do they actually remove bumpers and have the necessary tools to close up a crack? I will try calling one tomorrow. Getting sick of body repair shops...seems like if I don`t get a $4000 paint job, they treat me like dirt.

Thanks for the help you guys. I forgot about PDR`s

Yeah..i can relate, got the same experience with some big body shops. Unfortunately they rather brush off smaller jobs and keep the big buck ones. IMO in the long run many small customers in a business equal far more than only big fishes as word to mouth goes around faster and even if it takes longer and more effort the long term benefits remain. I work for a company that once turned away all small customers to keep only the biggest ones until they realized that their competitors were getting stronger than them by picking all these customers...in business it can be hard to find customers and its even harder to keep them but losing them and trying to get them back is nearly impossible especially if they were turned away initially...

Also i find that smaller shops tend to pay more attention to details and not rush the job so much but again quality is always the issue. My advice is when you go and see them ask them to show you some jobs they did or are in process, look at the finished product, are there many defects, is the shop clean and organized, are the results consistent that sort of thing....

As for removing a bumper its fairly easy..just a matter of removing the bolts in the fenders, on the bottom and inside the hood and the retaining clips and unplugging the turn signals....ok maybe its sound easier than it is :grinno: ..but most places can take off a bumper in less than 1/2 hour...Most PDR or scratch repair shops will have a section or someone that does molding and plastic repair, some will subcontract it to mobile guys that specialize in that type of repair and then get the part back to paint and reinstall it.

Thread Information