Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and am just looking for some quick information. I just hit some ice and did a couple of 360`s with my 97 Vette. I wasn`t going fast or doing dumb stuff. It was a honest to goodness accident. Make a long story short the car finally came to rest againist a guard rail. Thank God no one was hurt. But the problem I am facing is that I am going to have repairs done through a autobody shop and not through insurance. I am suppling the panels. I have not spoken with the autobody people yet hence the question. On ebay a few auctions are ending soon. Can someone please tell me if I should buy door panel, rear quarter panel etc. with no paint on them whatsoever only painted with primer. Or could I buy some panels that are painted black, (same color as car) but these panels have some scratches etc. and the people selling them say that they should be fixed and repainted. My question is does it matter to a autobody person to get a panel that is painted the same color as the car but has nicks, scratches etc and needs to be fixed. Or do they want to see a panel that is only painted with a primer and is in great shape. Wondering what the price difference would be between a panel painted same color as car but has nicks, scratches etc. compared to a panel that is painted with just primer.

It may sound dumb to some of you guys but please give me a break I haven`t a clue when it comes to body work. Just don`t know. Any advice would be appreciated.

I NEED THIS ASAP AS SOME OF THE AUCTIONS END WITHIN HOURS TONIGHT. thank you for any help someone might send me.

Please send to glkfam@juno.com

Post Thanks / Like
    mitwilson- Welcome to Autopia, sorry to hear about your `vette.

I`d get the best panels available, in primer would be fine. The only difference/argument for painted ones would be that the areas of the parts that don`t show much (e.g., the inside surfaces of the doors) might be OK on the painted ones *if* you`re lucky (big "if" IMO) and then your shop will only have to paint the outside surfaces. That`s too unlikely IMO ("need fixed and painted" = "look out" IMO), more likely that everything will need painted anyhow. I wouldn`t want to risk getting something that`s messed up so the basic condition of the pieces would be my primary concern. To a decent body shop, a little more painting isn`t a big deal. Get the best parts you can find/afford, don`t shoot the repair in the foot by starting off with "too experience" parts.

Hope you see this before the auction ends, I just spotted your post as I was signing off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    mitwilson- Welcome to Autopia, sorry to hear about your `vette.

I`d get the best panels available, in primer would be fine. The only difference/argument for painted ones would be that the areas of the parts that don`t show much (e.g., the inside surfaces of the doors) might be OK on the painted ones *if* you`re lucky (big "if" IMO) and then your shop will only have to paint the outside surfaces. That`s too unlikely IMO ("need fixed and painted" = "look out" IMO), more likely that everything will need painted anyhow. I wouldn`t want to risk getting something that`s messed up so the basic condition of the pieces would be my primary concern. To a decent body shop, a little more painting isn`t a big deal. Get the best parts you can find/afford, don`t shoot the repair in the foot by starting off with "too experience" parts.

Hope you see this before the auction ends, I just spotted your post as I was signing off.

Accumulator,

THANK YOU for your help and advice. I did get it in time to go and bid and hope it works out. I really appreciate your opinion and it makes all the sense in the world to me. Thanks once again. I hope the car gets fixed as well as the good advice I got.

M.Wilson

Thread Information