Post Thanks / Like
    a coworker sent me this after i mentioned i was looking for an old beater. he is a tuner by hobby...doing some pretty serious stuff on the side. me...i am NOT...and just looking for a winter/beater car. does this sound like anything even worth looking at...or just asking for trouble due to maintenance down the line? my budget for a beater is about $3k...but would be just fine w/ a $500 car as long as it starts and doesn`t explode.

-------------------------------------------------------

-92 Civic HB, D-series T3 turbo, Uberdata, fresh paint, no rear wheel well rust, GSR fat 5`s, 3" side exit exhaust, F&R upper strut bars, tach, momo wheel/trim. There are lots of extras if asking price is paid: uninstalled new tires, giant ricer body kit, older race seats, etc.. We will likely finish assembly and wet sanding/buffing next weekend. The Honda will be pretty close to done this weekend. Flushing out any mechanical issues and tuning the ECU might take another week. We may list it on eBay immediately. $3600 w/ the extras, $3200 w/o. I could sell it to you w/o the turbo stuff (just NA) and extras for a little bit less ($3k), if you are just looking for a clean Civic. It hasn`t been boosted yet but we`d have to source NA manifold and exhaust (thus the reason for only knocking a few hundred off). We`d need money down to go that route (to buy parts that weren`t part of the plan). Of course, you could probably buy rust buckets for less.

--------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you have dealt with true modification of cars, I would stay clear away. This car will -not- be a daily driver.

I`d stay clear away, unless you want a project car.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t want to buy someone else`s project for a daily driver, it`s just never a good idea. Plus that paragraph is a bit confusing... it`s a D series turbo, but it`s not boosted yet? There`s a lot better cars out there that you could pick up for $3k than something that probably has been raced, abused, and who knows what else, especially if you don`t know a lot about modified cars.
    2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V turbo

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are on the right track looking at a Civic for a DD/beater but I would stay away from something that is turbo`d that was not turbo stock. But I would, if I where you, look for a nice Civic with the D series engine. Those engines are dirt cheap, last forever, and the cars are super easy to work on if you ever need to. I had a 91 hatch with the little D15B engine and it had over 200K on it. Two things went wrong. One, the distributor went and that was a quick fix. Then the radiator went but it was the original and that also was a quick fix. I had a 4 speed manual and found a 5 speed to throw into it for dirt cheap and that really made it more enjoyable to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies. the car has not yet been modified (at least not with the turbo). it is in the works though...and i was given the option to keep it NA or buy w/ the turbo. i figured i wouldn`t want it that modified (if at all) since reliability is key to a winter beater. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stay clear!! I have a 86 mazda pick up that runs perfect I would sell you for $1200. 145k original miles. I have put some money in it but every since I bought my 300 I never drive it any more! interior needs work but the engine runs like a champ. I am in Va if you are interested!

Post Thanks / Like
    I say stay away as well.

I mean, if they were going to put a turbo on it, do you think they may have driven it to the ground before, like trying to race it?

But then again, we are not there to see it either. Be careful and look it over real good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cute02spec
    You don`t want to buy someone else`s project for a daily driver, it`s just never a good idea. Plus that paragraph is a bit confusing... it`s a D series turbo, but it`s not boosted yet? There`s a lot better cars out there that you could pick up for $3k than something that probably has been raced, abused, and who knows what else, especially if you don`t know a lot about modified cars.

i agree...sounds like its more of a work in progress than a daily driver. is it a kid? or an older person selling it?
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe

1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

Post Thanks / Like
    A turbo D Series engine built PROPERLY would cost at least $3k alone. Stay away from that one!
    Triple Honda Owner

Thread Information