Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone in Rochester,NY can do a Legal Tint for my Accord V6 2005, please PM me with your prices, also need to see your past or present work.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.

Front Side Windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.

Back Side Windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.

Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
    The rear window doesnt seem right. When I was with my friend who got a ticket, the cop said anything under 75% all the way around was illegal.

I say go with 35% if your worried. That is relatively light and doesn`t draw attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know how strict the cops are around there...Here in Michigan we have the fix it or ticket law...I have 5% on my rear 2 windows and back window...and 15% on my front windows...I`ve paid the fix-it ticket twice already...not planning on going to get them fixed. There are so many people with windows like mine...or darker yet it seems. Screw them in my opinion...I`ll keep paying the ticket b/c I like the way it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The laws for NYS are:

6 inch strip down from the center of the windshield.

Driver/passenger fronts 70% visible light transmission (VLT)

Driver passenger rears and rear window can be completely blacked out(spray painted) if you have sideview mirrors.

My friends father is a NYS Trooper so I know the laws from him and other Law Enforcement Officals.

The 70% VLT really isn`t much darker than stock. I lived in Binghamton, and in Buffalo and I have always had 20% all around with a 5% visor strip. I have been pulled over many times for speeding and the cops never said anything about the tint. I was only pulled over for tint once and he let me go. I just was polite and told him I did not know they were too dark since the car was purchased that way.

Any tint shop in your area can tint them legal for you. My advice is to look for several features of the shop/tint.

For the shop: make sure they do a one piece rear window, when it is in pieces it looks like crap.

I perfer no cutout for the rear brake light, it looks better and the light is mounted so close to the glass it shines through no problem.

For the tint: make sure it is a lifetime warrantee against peeling, fading, and bubbling.

Llumar is a brand I have experience with.

Remember that all the different VLT %`s reflect almost the same amount of heat and block almost the same amount of UVA/UVB. The darkness is more about looks/privacy.

Sorry if that is more than you wanted to know. :nixweiss
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Living in NY for the majority of my life, anything 35% or lighter, unless you are doing something very wrong or have a flashy car, you will be fine.

My mom`s PT Cruiser has 20% all the way around and cops don`t even double-take.

I think it has to do more with WHAT type of car you are driving and HOW you are driving it.

In any event, I like James Tint (highly recommended by other G-owners) because he uses Huper Optik. H-O is not just for glamour but truly blocks heat and has UV protection. More money, yes, but worth it to jump into a cooler car during the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Sean completely on the above. But that being said it depends on the cop and what kind of mood he is in. It also helps if you have a clean driving record.

Sean, what is the price range for the H.O. tint? I know the Llumar is reasonably priced. It would be around $220-$250 for a sedan.

Edit: Forget the price it basically boils down to whatever the shop charges. Down here in NoVA. the price can range big time for the same tint brand deopending on what shop you go to.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tints Josh, I`ve got 35% on a black GTP and I wish I had yours. I`d do it too, except I think the additional speeding and minor in possession tickets I`d pick up wouldn`t be worth it .
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej
    I agree with Sean completely on the above. But that being said it depends on the cop and what kind of mood he is in. It also helps if you have a clean driving record.

Sean, what is the price range for the H.O. tint? I know the Llumar is reasonably priced. It would be around $220-$250 for a sedan.

Edit: Forget the price it basically boils down to whatever the shop charges. Down here in NoVA. the price can range big time for the same tint brand deopending on what shop you go to.

I believe it`s anywhere from $275 - 350.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G35stilez
    I believe it`s anywhere from $275 - 350.

James hooks up the G guys with great deals on Huper! I took my moms 300c to him and he did a great job and his price is the best I have ever heard of!

Additionally, the HUPER OPTIK tint actually works!! I can`t believe how much cooler my moms car is with 30% huper vs mine with 20% lumar. Even going back to some of my old trucks with 5%, the huper still keeps the car cooler! It also has a very classy look to it!

Thread Information