Post Thanks / Like
    In a previous thread, I asked for recommendations to remove imbedded brake dust from the backs of alloy wheels. I`ve tried Megs Hot Rims and E1 wheel cleaner and used a soft brush but still had a lot brake dust remaining. After trying the wheel cleaners and brush, I then tried clay with both wheel cleaners. Still a lot of brake dust. So I stepped up the aggressiveness, continuing to use the wheel cleaners and tried a scotch pad and then 0000-steel wool. Slightly better results but still didn`t get all the brake dust. When these still didn`t work, I finally wet sanded the back of the wheel with 600 grit. Finally, the brake dust came off. The finish appears to have some etching left by the brake dust. What grit sandpaper would I need to use to get rid of the etching? After sanding, I would like to clear coat the backs of the wheels. I`m not convinced that there is any clear on the backs or if there is, it`s mighty thin. The wheels have a grove type casting on the backs which allows for dirt to get easily embedded. I think it is a ridiculous design. They should have been smooth. A lot easier to clean. The fronts of the wheels are just about perfect so i don`t want to mess with them.

Can someone help me out with the steps to sand and clear these wheels? What do I need to do to prep the wheels before clear coating? Grit numbers to use? Also, could anyone recommend a clear coat to use? I`ve heard about Duplicolor Clear Coat but I don`t know about its quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Malachi71- I wouldn`t go more aggressive than 320-400 grit.

Mask off the front sides carefully. Very carefully

I`d shoot the backs with silver first, before using the clear. I`d use Wurth brand wheel paint for both. Not sure who handles it these days, but Griot`s sells it under their own name. Maybe check out CMA. The Wurth paint is very, very good as spraypaints go and it *is* made just for this application. I would *NOT* use anything else myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Malachi71- I wouldn`t go more aggressive than 320-400 grit.

Mask off the front sides carefully. Very carefully

I`d shoot the backs with silver first, before using the clear. I`d use Wurth brand wheel paint for both. Not sure who handles it these days, but Griot`s sells it under their own name. Maybe check out CMA. The Wurth paint is very, very good as spraypaints go and it *is* made just for this application. I would *NOT* use anything else myself.
    Thanks for the advice. I`m just wondering why you are suggesting to spray with silver first before clear coating? The color of the wheel is still intact. I did a search here and found that Wurth seems to be of good quality. I noticed you recommended it. Also, someone here did a review of Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating and had good things to say about it too. Duplicolor is a more accessible for me so I may give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of having an extra layer of paint between the clear and the aluminum. IMO it`s added insurance- in case, for instance, some staining/etc. isn`t as thoroughly eradicated as you might think and tries to come back to haunt you. Plus, I think it`d end up looking better over time. Paints with pigment tend to work out better in harsh environments than paints without pigment- they have more solids in their mix. The best looking "insides" I have are painted with both silver and clear so that`s the way I`d go. Consider that it isn`t much more money or effort...just spraying on a coat or two of paint with pigment before the clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I like the idea of having an extra layer of paint between the clear and the aluminum. IMO it`s added insurance- in case, for instance, some staining/etc. isn`t as thoroughly eradicated as you might think and tries to come back to haunt you. Plus, I think it`d end up looking better over time. Paints with pigment tend to work out better in harsh environments than paints without pigment- they have more solids in their mix. The best looking "insides" I have are painted with both silver and clear so that`s the way I`d go. Consider that it isn`t much more money or effort...just spraying on a coat or two of paint with pigment before the clear.
    Point taken. That makes sense. Thanks Accumulator!

Post Thanks / Like
    the dupli color "wheel coating" clear works fairly well...

personally i would say, re shoot the wheels and keep them nice from then on...

wheels are tough to deal w/ because they see so much constant abuse (brake dust, road dirt, grime, water e/t/c)
    Travis

96 Volvo 850 R

"The R" Click Me

Thread Information