Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that many of the clear license plate covers I see have unevenly spaced horizontal lines apparently molded into them? If they are for reinforcement, why aren`t they evenly spaced? What are they for? Isn`t this another reason for a cop to pull you over for obscuration of your plate? Poking around online a little it seems to be the Altec brand that has them, although I think I saw some cheap ones in Pep Boys or somewhere that had them also (maybe to make them look like the expensive ones?).

You can see them pretty clearly in this picture of the Altec Autocross frame that I borrowed from Autogeek:

Post Thanks / Like
    I always hated that too! I think they are for reinforcement like you said.

Post Thanks / Like
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike

Thanks, I saw that the WeatherTech doesn`t have the lines, I am still wondering why the others do!

The DETAILS count. ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know what brand, but I once heard that there are some plate covers that dont allow pictures. Something like it gives a reflection so you wont get busted by the cameras. I dont know if its true, or how much of it would be true. But maybe the lines have something to do with that ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The weathertech ones do not have lines, look great and seal well around the frame. This keeps condensation from building up behind the lens when it rains or you wash the car. The ones that I used to buy at Walmart always had that problem and looked bad. Also the weathertech lens doesn`t yellow over time like the cheap Walmart ones. Not sure whey the other ones have lines but I give a big thumbs up for Weathertech!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the altec frame on my Intrepid, I bought it after I read a thread on DodgeIntrepid.net about how this guy had one and he had to try kindah hard to get a decent pic of his plate. I think that is what the lines are for, but I could be wrong. I`ve tried taking a pic of my plate, and there has been a FEW times the plate has come up overexposed, but not as many as I have liked. Here is the original thread at DI.net clicky

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When photo radar was big here a few years ago you could by a license plate cover that would give a bad photo if taken from a side angle. I believe I saw them in the Car and Driver classified ads not that long ago either. I found with my older flat smoked covers which I bought at Canadian Tire it was hard to get a decent pic of the plate. It always looked like it was dirty. The new curved style I bought at Advance Auto is much better at sealing out the dirt and doesn`t rub against the lettering of the plate.

I liked the idea of the Weathertech but at around $40 for one that`s just a bit too pricey as we have to run two plates here. I would say the lines are for support but I don`t care for the look either.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that covers the plates on your car in CA is illegal.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t get a reply to my email, so I called Altec, they said the lines were originally for "Eurpean styling" and that it really helps the clarity of the lens (?).

Thread Information