Post Thanks / Like
    Well after I posted my last thread with the hood question, I was thinking more and more about clear bra. When I go to 3m.com and hear other people they say some kits are $700 and then I started looking around because i didnt want to spend that much. At xpel.com the bumper kit is $260, at Invisible Mask and http://www.vacleartech.com/index.htm the bumper kit is under $200. However, from what I seen they all use 3m scotchguard. Right now I am leaning towards xpel.com because for this type of procedure/product I can afford to spend $100 extra in case it is better. Does anyone know why these prices vary so much? Also I am leaning towards xpel.com because they have a clearly stated factory trained installer near me. Thanks for your help and if anyone has feedback on any of these companies I would appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its just like detailing...Different techiniques make a world of difference, even if they`re the same products......
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    but if they`re factory trained, why are they cheaper? real world experience?

I`m kinda in the same boat right now. the 21st of january I went to scion exposed 2.0 in miami, a big scion sponsored car show. There were a couple of vendors present and one of which was Accuguard (http://www.accuguard.biz). they said that i could get the first 18" of the hood and fenders done, plus the complete front bumper for 450 installed. they had an example car there, a silver tC, and the stuff looked great. one of the sales people actually had a sample of the material. He held onto opposite sides of the sample and stretched it out. He then gave me a pen and told me to poke the pen thru it. amazingly the sample didnt get pierced.

I`m waiting to hear more on this subject.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    well I too am in this boat. One "Certified" Xpel installer want`s over $1,000.00 to do my Audi and another wants $500.00 to do the same car with the same packages from XPEL.

We know that 3M makes Scotchgard (the material) but doesn`t sell to consumers or cut templates. Xpel and Clear Mask (among others) make the templates from the film and you can either buy directly from them and do it yourself or from a "Certified" installer and let them do it.

But I doubt someone who is "authorzied" from the manufacture and buying this stuff all the time is paying the same price listed on the websites

What`s clear (pardon the pun) here is the markup in the labor costs and there is where you get the variations in pricing for the install as a result.

I`m not sure factory trained means as much as if the installer guarantee`s/warranties his/her work. After all the film is meaningless if it isn`t applied properly and falls off.

The guy who quoted me over a grand called me back and asked if I was still interested.

I told him I could order 3 kits from X-Pel and do it myself and I would surely get it right by the 3rd one for less than what he quoted me. And I would`nt have to leave my car there all day to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Morbid, its not an easy task, as I have experienced. It takes a lot of skill, and expertise, and has a huge learning curve, I work with vinyls all day long, and thought I could do this without any real effort. I tried my hood on the Expedition, and ruined the kit. Selecting the starting spot is crucial, as dependant upon hood shape, you will have to stretch the material, around lips and edges.....Theres really no 2nd chance at perfection.....But that was a risk I was willing to take to bring it to my services.

I know someone in Jersey, I will PM you......(Im not sure how close Rochester is to Jersey, but though I would let ya know about it...)
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I view this the same way as PDR, some guys are just a lot better, and are worth paying more for. Me, I`ll repaint the front end every few years instead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Morbid, its not an easy task, as I have experienced. It takes a lot of skill, and expertise, and has a huge learning curve, I work with vinyls all day long, and thought I could do this without any real effort. I tried my hood on the Expedition, and ruined the kit. Selecting the starting spot is crucial, as dependant upon hood shape, you will have to stretch the material, around lips and edges.....Theres really no 2nd chance at perfection.....But that was a risk I was willing to take to bring it to my services.

I know someone in Jersey, I will PM you......(Im not sure how close Rochester is to Jersey, but though I would let ya know about it...)

And god forbid you get a hair or a piece of lint under the kit. I installed clear bra`s for awhile mainly on Lexus`s and Toyota`s though. The dealer that trained me and sold me my clear bra kits had his own plotter so he cut his own kits but he used Xpel`s designs. Pretty sure he just set his own prices even though he was part of Xpel`s network.
    2007 Jeep Green Wrangler X

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done a lot of window tiniting in the past. Isn`t it a similar installation concept?

Post Thanks / Like
    CB is not worth attempting yourself, nor is it worth bargain hunting for.

If you`re truly commited to having it done, choose an installer with a good reputation and pay his price.
    APPLIED COLORS

PROFESSIONAL GRADE PAINT TOUCHUP KITS

Post Thanks / Like
    We`re on the wall about starting to do clear bra. A lot of demand, but a lot of work.

gqmd: No. It`s more like a car wrap.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the same rule like everything in life....pay what YOU think the service is worth to you.

For clearbra, look for quality of installation and also the *backing* of customer service behind that.

As well, is he using cut film or custom cut.

If it`s cut film, are all the cuts with a slight reveal to the edge or is it *wraparound* on some panels, etc.

A *custom* or good filem installer will do the extra things like remove grilles, lights, etc to tuck in the film and make it as invisible as possible.

YMMV, but just like professional detailers/detail shops, there will be varying levels of professionalism and quality in the trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the same rule like everything in life....pay what YOU think the service is worth to you.

For clearbra, look for quality of installation and also the *backing* of customer service behind that.

As well, is he using cut film or custom cut.

If it`s cut film, are all the cuts with a slight reveal to the edge or is it *wraparound* on some panels, etc.

A *custom* or good film installer will do the extra things like remove grilles, lights, etc to tuck in the film and make it as invisible as possible.

YMMV, but just like any professional detailer/detail shops, there will be varying levels of professionalism and quality in the trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    holy sc@##. I just realized I replied back to a thread that was 3 years old...

Thread Information