Post Thanks / Like

Question Detailing boats, how much?

I detailed a new clients Navigator last week and he told me that his parents owned MasterCraft boats in Phoenix. So I hooked up with them today and we talked about detailing. They want to contract me to detail boats for them because the season is starting up again. I would be detailing New and used boats when customers bring them in for service. I gave them a quote for $185-225 and they told me to do the first boat and then let them know what I think it`s worth.

How much should I charge?
    Should I go by how many feet or condition?

BTW, they only polish the boats using primarily Nu Brite. I talked to them about sealants, glazes, compounds etc... So I hope I don`t scare them with my arsenal of Poorboy`s and Meguiars!! HEHE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing boats, how much?

depends on the size. I know 50 ft. boats you can get around $1600.

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge $10 per foot for exterior only and $15-$20 per foot for interior and exterior. There are alot of variables with these prices depending on what results the customer is expecting. I have to make $40 per hour. If your doing work for a boat dealership, I doubt you`ll be able to charge these prices. With boats, I use a different approach than detailing cars, and they can be much more time consuming. The nice thing about fiberglass gel coat boats is there`s about 36 ml clearcoat vs. 3-4 for cars. You can really get on them with the rotary and the results are stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go $10 per foot for the exterior and charge the cabin extra. For instance, I did a 22 foot cuddy cabin for $225. It`s a big job, like 7-8 hours, but it comes out great

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. I was thinking somewhere around $10 per foot would be adequate. Luckily for me none of the boats I will be doing will be in terrible condition, only being 5 years old or newer. I will post some pics tommorow.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as products go you really need to check out Yacht Brite for marine reconditioning.

www.yachtbrite.com

Mike In Edgewood MD

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite
    I detailed a new clients Navigator last week and he told me that his parents owned MasterCraft boats in Phoenix. So I hooked up with them today and we talked about detailing. They want to contract me to detail boats for them because the season is starting up again. I would be detailing New and used boats when customers bring them in for service. I gave them a quote for $185-225 and they told me to do the first boat and then let them know what I think it`s worth.

How much should I charge?
    Should I go by how many feet or condition?

BTW, they only polish the boats using primarily Nu Brite. I talked to them about sealants, glazes, compounds etc... So I hope I don`t scare them with my arsenal of Poorboy`s and Meguiars!! HEHE
    you should PM "pappy" he details boats the entire summer.
    HTH

GReg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite
    he told me that his parents owned MasterCraft boats
    You mean they own a dealer named MasterCraft? MasterCraft Boats (manufacturer) is located in Tennessee.
    2004 Solara SLE V6 - Lunar Mist/Dark Stone

Your eyes expand up to 45% when looking at something pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like

hey. yea i work for a guy in the summer and thats all we do is boats, we want to get into cars but right now its just boats. im not sure on the prices for what he charges but its somthing like for like a 35 foot boat for just a wash is like 100 bucks just for a wash and dry. for waxing and doing all the chrome outside windows ect. im not exactly sure. we do stay out of the interiors because there a pain in the ass. we usally hire that out. (we mainly do anything from 26-70 foot boats because thats the main portion of the boats around here) um for waxing im guessings its anywhere from 12ish a foot for a boat with no flybridge, 14ish for a middle flybridge (um like the carver mariner where most of the space is above with fly bridge) and around 16ish per foot for the boats with the high flybridges the ones where theres like 20 run ladder to climb..haha..not quite but if u know boats u know what im talking about. cuz thre so damn high and u got to be crawlin around the outside of them standing on a lip sometimes or a hand rail to reach these place.

No dont quote me on those prices because im not sure but thats what comes to mind. its been almost half a year since i worked for him so thats the best of my memory. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

TW85: You mean they own a dealer named MasterCraft? MasterCraft Boats (manufacturer) is located in Tennessee.

Well apparently they must just own the dealerships here in Phoenix. That is just what their son told me. (shrugging shoulders)

Pappy: Thanks for the info. The boats that they have me doing are new and customer owned boats ranging from 25-40 feet. They basically want the whole boat detailed in and out. I did a bright yellow Mastercraft X30 wake boarding boat the other day, it took me about 6.5 hours. They were very pleased with the job I did and my attention to detail. I charged $185 because it was my first boat and I had no idea what I was getting into. I talked with them and we worked it out that I will charge $10 per foot. Your right about the inside, it took me 80% of the time to shampoo the carpets, clean and dress the vinyl, clean the engine etc...

Post Thanks / Like

all of my pricing is posted on my website by service and length and such. It is a really simple algorithm if you look at the source. www.ddetail.com/mpricing.html I am having a little compability issue with the firefox browser so if you are using that, it will jump to another page once you click calculate. Hope this helps
    ~Mike

Thread Information