Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atv detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Atv detailing

I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500. The paint isnt like a car. it is espically dull looking paint. what should i do here some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by willbjew; 10-11-2004 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Atv detailing

I have an `04 Honda Rancher and I use it a good bit. I don`t really know of a good way to keep it clean. I usually just use the powerwahser. I have tried wax, but it doen`s help too much. You are right about the pain (if it`s even painted). I think it`s just colored plastic on mine. It will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get on this one.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I Mean it is just plastic. that has color. I can get the trim looking pretty good. and the tires. I hunt with it so it is not in intenive mud or bogging so its not too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Its supposed to have a coating of mud at all times.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

Novus plastic renew. You are never going to get plastic new-you`ll have to buy that. Do a search on the net for it. I have a link for it at work. I use a bleach water concentrate and lightly brush it in with a soft bristle brush and let it soak. Come back with a heavy concentrated simple green, rinse good and let it dry competely, then, follow up again with a light diluted simple green wiping more, especially the frame, then...just use some tire shine product, any, and you be amazed at the difference.

Do this first though...Use some Gunk on the engine and let it sit for about a 1/2 hour when the motor/frame is cool. Come back to it, try and scrub the heavy soiled areas and powerwash off.....ah....everyone will want to know your regiment.

I just sold two atv`s over the weekend. Both sold when the first people saw them. They couldn`t believe the condition and how clean I had them too.

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is one of those times Klasse AIO is really useful.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished up my dirt bike with the plastic-renew stuff. It sure does work to revive the plastic but it was not easy. TO remove scratches you have to sand them down completly and then apply the final renewing liquid. It is just a sealant I guess that over time you`ll have to re-apply. PM me if your going to go that route and I could help you out.
    As for cleaning.... pressure washer most of it, starying away from bearing, linkages and so forth where you dont want water. Simple green works awesome. To get a little shine I like Armor All, but it attracts a lot of dust.
    Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I will give it a try. I actually have 2 Polaris`s, One is a 500 HO and the other 350 Magnum. I can clean the 350 pretty good b/c it is not 4wd and not as big of engine but on the same body size of the 500. So that mean alot of emty space to get that preasure washing into. Is the Product called GUNK. i will try it.

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct. Engine Gunk cleaner. Follow the directions how to use it. Listen to Budman about the Novus plastic renew. I`ve never used it, but some atv boards I surf people have had good results with it.
    Here is the link. http://store.yahoo.com/plastic-polish/

Here are two pics of my POLARIS atv`s just detailed and just sold
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

If you click on the thumbnail you can view larger pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think 303 Aerospace Protectant would be a perfect choice for an ATV. After you get it clean. You can use it on the whole thing. Tires, body, seat, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Kodiak 400 I use simple green and a pressure washer(or hose depending on how muddy). After the machine is clean and dry I spray Armor All on the entire machine except the motor. I let the Armor All soak and self drain and it helps the plastic alot. Then your next wash is fairly easy because mud and dirt don`t stick to the machine as bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you all would try some tire shine product, any product, you all would be very surprised at the results. I quit using Armor-All after someone suggested I try any tire shine product. Also, it will last long than armor all.

Look at the shine in my plasitc at the above pics, I couldn`t get those results with armor all.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanilla Moose is another option to consider. Even regular Moose Wax would probably work.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta be kidding....lol

I powerwash both of mine after a somple green soaking , dry it with an air hose or leaf blower , and wipe it down with WD40. (except seat) just use on black plastic trim and colored fender`s

Been doing this since 1984 with no problem`s . I currntly have a 97 Polaris 500 that this has been done alot too and still look`s great. Also have an 01 500 Polaris that look`s great too. No problem with the WD !! Seem`s to help with clean up too the next time.

Oh and after that go get it full of mud like it should be !!

I`ve gone through and had quite a few ATV`s and take great care & maint. on them . I do keep them clean , but when I put them out for sale they go quick , just because of how good they look. Don`t waste oyou money on expensive stuff for you ATV.

One last thing that I have not tried yet but due to the amount of detailing stuff I have next time I will go with PB Bold & Brite. It should work great on that plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information