it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help, Harley Chrome Exhaust pipes

Today, I was over at my uncle`s house doing up my cousin`s black civic. He lives out in Indiana and just came back yesterday for a couple weeks, before moving out to San Diego. Anyway, while I was detailing his car, my other cousin`s husband was also there. My uncle`s been storing his Harley and he was trying to "fit in" I guess and was QDing his bike. Anyway after seeing what I was removing from the civic with SSR2.5, he was showing me some burnt rubber on his chrome exhaust pipes. So I say lemme try it with the PC and SSR2.5. I work it in around 5, 5.5 and completely remove the rubber. He was shocked. The only bad part about it was that one part is really hazed up. I realized I shouldn`t have been using the cutting pad, that I was using on the Civic. I followed up with SSR2.5 on a polshing pad and it really didn`t do anything else. He says its not that bad and he`d rather have it a little hazed up but I think hes saying it just to be nice. I really wanna fix it for him but not sure what kinda of approach to take. All I had was SSR2.5 and EX-P on me so my options were limited. He was talkin about buyin some metal polish but i`m not sure if that will really "clear" up the chrome. Any recomendations on what I should do? I was thinking maybe VM? I`m gonna be there Sunday night for a party so I was thinking of just bringin some stuff over and try clearing it up for him. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If its burnt rubber from shoes is what I`m thinking. I would have used lacquer thinner then polished with chrome polish or any decent polish. You want to dissolve the rubber then polish the residue off
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to say, it`s not coming back chrome is a very delicate and thin plating, not a real metal, and Pro Polish works like a charm for that purpose...that`s my favorite demo at a bike show,(removing rubber or nylon from pants from exhaust pipes) as it is quite common. Totally non-abrasive products should be used on chrome as to not induce any scratches or marring:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information