Post Thanks / Like

Can vinyl decals on seadoo be polished?

Hi guys, just wondering if the vinyl decals on a seadoo jet-ski can be polished out. They are faded, oxidized, and just bad. I was thinking about m205 and white pad. Also while I`m on the subject of vinyl, might as well cover vinyl door trim on cars. Can that be polished out the same way?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can vinyl decals on seadoo be polished?

You could, but its not going to do much. If anything it could make it worse. A lot of the boat and RV guys will just remove the old decals and order a new kit. Ive got a 30ft Mariah coming up shortly, and that`s what we are doing with it.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Its plastic... You cant improve the faded color/s..
    You might be able to remove some scratches like when I renew Clear Bra`s on vehicles, but even then, its never going to be what it used to be after a long run of years outside...
    Good luck with this..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my experience is different. It really depends on the vinyl and how the color is laid on.

Usually a light polishing will benefit them as it removes years of water spots, very fine surface scratches, etc. It also can revitalize the color to some degree, depending on the type of vinyl and depth of fade. I also believe some of the polishing oils can/will seep into the porous and weathered surface, making the shine increase, at least temporarily.

I would go with something like Meguiars M80 for this reason and see how it works. Worst case scenario, it doesn`t work or you damage the vinyl, which means you can just replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, what year/model is your SeaDoo. I used to work at a SeaDoo dealership, delivering them to houses on a lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Typically it wont do much of anything, recently we had a name on the back of a boat get faded from buffing which ive never seen before in the 1000+ boats ive buffed in my day it had to be a faulty vinyl decal that was used. But other than that its typically just left it how it was.
    Austin
    Owner L&I Detailing - Yacht Management

Post Thanks / Like

I use a non abrasive chemical polish like Professional Polish to polish them up. Works good for me on faded decals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    I use a non abrasive chemical polish like Professional Polish to polish them up. Works good for me on faded decals.
    I was thinking Klasse AIO, but Poorboy`s would work great (now that I think of it).

Worst case scenario, you are out a few dollars (if it doesn`t work) but you still have a great polish!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, the ski is a 1996 seadoo xp. Its in pretty good shape. On closer inspection, the decals need to be replaced. I will suggest it to the owner.

I had a 95 and 96 xp way back in the day, those skis were awesome at jumping big waves. Now seems like most jet-skis are huge! The last ski I owned was a Polaris pro 785 stock race ski. I remember racing zxi 1100`s and walking them by 5mph. Acceleration was crazy. You coundnt really do spin outs with that ski it hooked up so good, that ski bucked me off multiple times, it could carve crazy turns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
    Todd, the ski is a 1996 seadoo xp. Its in pretty good shape. On closer inspection, the decals need to be replaced. I will suggest it to the owner.

I had a 95 and 96 xp way back in the day, those skis were awesome at jumping big waves. Now seems like most jet-skis are huge! The last ski I owned was a Polaris pro 785 stock race ski. I remember racing zxi 1100`s and walking them by 5mph. Acceleration was crazy. You coundnt really do spin outs with that ski it hooked up so good, that ski bucked me off multiple times, it could carve crazy turns.
    IIR, the 96 was yellow and like a pinkish color?

I had a 92 SP and a 93 XP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    I totally agree, chem is the way to go. I always use menz fg a lot on stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, yellow hull, with pinkish decals. I had a 95 xp too, and that looked the best. Yellow and white hull with teal decals. But the 95 was 720cc, 96 was 780cc. About a 5mph difference.

I was 15 when we bought the 95 xp, I jet-skied almost everyday that summer. Gas was cheap back then!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
    Yup, yellow hull, with pinkish decals. I had a 95 xp too, and that looked the best. Yellow and white hull with teal decals. But the 95 was 720cc, 96 was 780cc. About a 5mph difference.

I was 15 when we bought the 95 xp, I jet-skied almost everyday that summer. Gas was cheap back then!!
    Yes it was! I have been thinking about getting another Sea Doo, maybe 3-4 years old with low hours. We will see, but I think it would be a blast.

Thread Information