Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Oxidation Removal

Is there some kind of chemical I can buy to remove oxidation? I just picked up a couple of boats that look like they have been sitting for years and years. The oxidation is really bad. A friend was telling me to wetsand it first. What kind of sandpaper do you guys recommend? I`m thinking 2000 grit, and what about a block? Do I need a block or will my hand be good enough as back up? I need to get this done in 2 steps. Suggestions appreciated
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Oxidation Removal

I don`t know that I would want to wetsand a boat, but maybe thats because Ive never had to. Compound and wool will do wonders on a boat. I would try that first.

Post Thanks / Like

^^I know wool and compound would work, but I`m stuck on what my buddy told me about wetsanding being "faster and wax ready." Compounding and wool pad I know would work, but if I can find a better way to make it easier then it would be a lifesaver...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    ^^I know wool and compound would work, but I`m stuck on what my buddy told me about wetsanding being "faster and wax ready." Compounding and wool pad I know would work, but if I can find a better way to make it easier then it would be a lifesaver...
    How can after wet sanding be LSP ready?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive wetsanded more oxidized paint than I care to think about, so I can agree that it will remove it. What I would be concerned with is getting those scratches buffed out of gelcoat. I hate to tell you man but I think your friend is leading you down the wrong road. Im afriad it would cause you a lot more trouble than what is nessesary...especially if your trying to get it done quick. If you really want try his method out (maybe he knows something I dont), try a test spot and see. Who knows, maybe he is right.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate friends who tell me how to do my job
    Likes beamerstrumpet, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Ive wetsanded more oxidized paint than I care to think about, so I can agree that it will remove it. What I would be concerned with is getting those scratches buffed out of gelcoat. I hate to tell you man but I think your friend is leading you down the wrong road. Im afriad it would cause you a lot more trouble than what is nessesary...especially if your trying to get it done quick. If you really want try his method out (maybe he knows something I dont), try a test spot and see. Who knows, maybe he is right.
    Well I have some good 3M wax with polish in it, one has polish and the other has compound, both are AIOs so whatever kind of scratching I have to deal with will hopefully come out with a buffer.

I`m going to give it a shot and will let you guys know how it worked out, maybe put some pictures in with it or something...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Well I have some good 3M wax with polish in it, one has polish and the other has compound, both are AIOs so whatever kind of scratching I have to deal with will hopefully come out with a buffer.

I`m going to give it a shot and will let you guys know how it worked out, maybe put some pictures in with it or something...
    Please do...you will need some kind of miracle sand paper to get rid of oxidation and ready for lsp in one step.

Post Thanks / Like

Gel coat is VERY hard so if you do decide to wet sand it, finish out with the highest grit possible.

Depending on the severity of the oxidation, you might be able to get away with compounding it. I would give Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner a try. Pair it with a wool pad on a high speed rotary polisher and you`ll remove the oxidation in no time.

Follow up with Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish to further refine the surface and to maximize gloss. Protect the finish with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant. This will provide durable protection along with a glossy, slick finish.

There are no short cuts with boat detailing. It`s going to be a ton of work, but having the right products will make it a heck of a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutopiaTech View Post
    Gel coat is VERY hard so if you do decide to wet sand it, finish out with the highest grit possible.

Depending on the severity of the oxidation, you might be able to get away with compounding it. I would give Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner a try. Pair it with a wool pad on a high speed rotary polisher and you`ll remove the oxidation in no time.

Follow up with Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish to further refine the surface and to maximize gloss. Protect the finish with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant. This will provide durable protection along with a glossy, slick finish.

There are no short cuts with boat detailing. It`s going to be a ton of work, but having the right products will make it a heck of a lot easier.
    Thanks for the info man. I have a wool pad and boat compound on stand by in case my idea doesn`t work. But I have to give this a shot because it`s something that has been in the back of my mind for a while now...
    Get your shine on!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff...done many old boats
    Wetsand is last resort
    Rotary and wool with duragloss 561....clean pad every 3 feet of boat
    Orbital and orange or white CCS pad and duragloss 501
    Wipe on ultima paint guard -2 coats
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am not aware of any gel coat chemical that "eats" oxidation, however you, I would second The Stig`s recommendation of Marine 31 polishing compounds, or Gel Coat Labs (slight advantage to Marine 31).

Post Thanks / Like

chances are you wont be able to do it in two steps if you wet sand because you would need to follow with a compound then polish. I would recommend 3m high gloss, by far the grittiest stuff I have used on boats then follow with something milder then your wax. If you do wet sand you may need something grittier than 2000 then work into the 2000.
    Austin
    Owner L&I Detailing - Yacht Management

Post Thanks / Like

oxidized boats suck to do, tons of elbow grease and lots of pads and compound I would stay away from wet sanding the gel coat Very different than working on a car

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel Coat Labs boat products will work wonders on your boat.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information