Post Thanks / Like

Question about compound makeup

I was recently sent a bunch of samples by a company called Woody Wax. I use their blue spray multi purpose wax all the time and see their product selection goes pretty deep. They sent me some of their orpine soap which is excellent and some waxes and compounds.

This past weekend I had a boat that was an absolute train wreck, normally wouldnt take this kinda job because I dont need to do boats like this anymore but it was for one of my really good customers and Im training some new guys how to buff so it worked out fine. Im going to help him sell it so he can use the money to put some big A$$ diesels in his big boat.

This woodys wax compound is a diminishing abrasive such as 3m imperial which im a huge advocate of. It feels somewhat gritty not as gritty as 3m but still has a lot of grit to it. It applies to the surface easily doesnt dry up. HERES where im perplexed, unlike any other compounds ive tried this doesnt dust when buffing only when cleaning your pad, instead it gets tacky like a thick paste wax. Im not sure what to make of that if that means it has a ton of fillers in it or what the deal is.

Any help is appreciated, below are some pictures of the boat.

Another compound series I was recently sent a bunch of samples to try was Sea Shield. They make a three part series 1&2 are fairly gritty, great cut to each not too much dusting and part 3 is a swirl remover, very oily basically takes the wax to remove all of the swirl removers residue. A lot of real high end super yacht detailers are using it now a boat called diamonds are forever was recently buffed with it.

Heres sea shields results on a 74` Hatteras

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about compound makeup

Oh my, that`s quite a turn around and a heck of a lot a work. Very nice.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

If you wanna try Gel Coat labs shoot me a PM

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t understand boats or their owners.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead - Thanks! yeah those projects are never that fun but how can I say no to a weekly customer!

Todd - Sending a message now. Thanks!

CH - Yeah boat owners are very out there most of the time lol.

Post Thanks / Like

good info. thanks for posting

knowing all of the above - if you get a call right now - oxidized hull - 1 step of polishing only - what are you choosing? Woodys, SeaShield, or 3m Imperial?

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    I don`t understand boats or their owners.
    I don`t understand pleasure boaters. Whats the point of having a boat if you can`t fish on it and get it all bloody? weird
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    good info. thanks for posting

knowing all of the above - if you get a call right now - oxidized hull - 1 step of polishing only - what are you choosing? Woodys, SeaShield, or 3m Imperial?
    Hmm thats a tough one the 3m has served me well with one stepping some pretty nasty oxidation and cant recommend the woodys just yet cause I havent played with it enough even though it was on par with 3m.

Sea shield is more of a 2-3 step prior to wax process. The rep showed me a few ways to narrow it down sometimes doing a 50/50 mix of parts 1&2 then combining your wax with swirl remover BUT because its gritty stuff both parts 1&2 your going to need to follow with something else either part 2 if you did 1 solo or the swirl remover because it leaves halos on the boat especially if its a boat with a bridge.

Because of the diminishing nature of imperial and woodys unless its really oxidized it will polish it to no halos by the time you have worked the compound in so Id go with one of those as a more agressive 1 step.

Oh the pains of being a hardcore fisherman myself and being a detailer I cringe when a bluefish or tuna bleeds all over the deck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L&I Detailing View Post
    Hmm thats a tough one the 3m has served me well with one stepping some pretty nasty oxidation and cant recommend the woodys just yet cause I havent played with it enough even though it was on par with 3m.

Sea shield is more of a 2-3 step prior to wax process. The rep showed me a few ways to narrow it down sometimes doing a 50/50 mix of parts 1&2 then combining your wax with swirl remover BUT because its gritty stuff both parts 1&2 your going to need to follow with something else either part 2 if you did 1 solo or the swirl remover because it leaves halos on the boat especially if its a boat with a bridge.

Because of the diminishing nature of imperial and woodys unless its really oxidized it will polish it to no halos by the time you have worked the compound in so Id go with one of those as a more agressive 1 step.

Oh the pains of being a hardcore fisherman myself and being a detailer I cringe when a bluefish or tuna bleeds all over the deck!
    thanks. sounds like I need to try out some of the 3m imperial this spring.

cringe?! Thats what you`re there for! getting the deck bloody is what its all about. Do you blackfish at all? Green crab legs all over the place bother me more than anything
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Its definitely worth a try, as you probably already know just make sure to work it in enough because of the diminishing abrasive capabilities. If your ever in Freeport I pick up my imperial from Pauls Distributors, cheapest around at 119/ gallon where as with my port supply account and seacoast accounts its much more than that. Thats also where I get my finesse it.

Its even worse when I do a canyon run with some of my clients they tend to leave the mess and not even try to clean it up since they know im on the boat. Yeah, I blackfish usually, except for this year didnt get a chance to between traveling for work and then the storm totaled my marina so had no place to put the boat back in.

Thread Information