Thread: Boat Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Wax

I have a boat coming up in a couple of weeks that is lightly oxidized. And the owner wants his boat to look like a diamond! Compound, Wax, metal polish, the whole nine yards done to his boat. The owner was telling me that his old detailer used to compound it before waxing which is probably what I`m going to end up doing, but the boat wax I have is Meguires Cleaner wax. I don`t mind using the cleaner wax, but I don`t think a cleaner wax does as good of a job as straight carnauba... My question is can I get by with using auto wax on a boat? or do I need to go out and get some wax that is designed to be used on gel coat?
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Wax

Ultima Paint Guard Plus will save you a ton of time and produce superior results/durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Some auto waxes will "get by" but in the long run better off getting a dedicated marine wax. They all look good dry but the marine environment will often cloud a wax better suited for land vehicles. You`ll really see the difference after pulling the boat out. There are several Marine AIO`s that are great. 3M has a couple that leaves a great shine, has good cleaning ability and not very expensive. I`ve used their entire marine line in fresh and salt water and was never disappointed.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel Coat Labs products are made for all gel coat boats and work awesome in the correction and protection of them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

x2 on the ultima once the surface is pristine gloss

a great combination is duragloss 561 with orange pad/then 501 and then 105 if you want....

The only place I have not seen car products work is in initial rough gelcoat polishing - once the surface is in good shape - car stuff works fine. I`ve been doing boats boats 25 years...

see here:
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...over-pics.html
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    x2 on the ultima once the surface is pristine gloss

a great combination is duragloss 561 with orange pad/then 501 and then 105 if you want....

The only place I have not seen car products work is in initial rough gelcoat polishing - once the surface is in good shape - car stuff works fine. I`ve been doing boats boats 25 years...

see here:
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...over-pics.html
    Do you use the 601 with the 501 and 105 on tbe boat like it is used on cars?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixs1234 View Post
    Do you use the 601 with the 501 and 105 on tbe boat like it is used on cars?
    see my post - no mixing...

gelcoat is so much harder and thicker than paint, you don`t have to be delicate...
    561-wool/flex
    then 501 - foam/GG6 or flex
    then ultima - hand
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Glen that boat looked amazing. Is there a good AIO that you can reccomend? For the price I`m charging this guy, I can`t do anymore than 2 passes with a rotary, and I`ve pretty much decided that I`m going to use 561 followed by an AIO. I just have 1 question. Do you think I even need to use 561 or can I use the 501 polish to take out the oxidation? I only have 2 passes with a rotary, and it`s either going to be A.compound followed by an AIO or B. polish followed by a wax or sealant...
    Get your shine on!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    Glen that boat looked amazing. Is there a good AIO that you can reccomend? For the price I`m charging this guy, I can`t do anymore than 2 passes with a rotary, and I`ve pretty much decided that I`m going to use 561 followed by an AIO. I just have 1 question. Do you think I even need to use 561 or can I use the 501 polish to take out the oxidation? I only have 2 passes with a rotary, and it`s either going to be A.compound followed by an AIO or B. polish followed by a wax or sealant...
    it really depends on the oxidation - if you have a little, meaning you have some gloss, I think the 501 will do it as it is pad dependant. , then any AIO with foam you like.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Well I appreciate your help and everyone else that helped out in here thanks!
    Get your shine on!

Thread Information