Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    When you are pre-approved for a loan from your bank or credit union.
    1968 Mustang, GT/CS, California Special, Original Owner

1972 Kona ski boat, 455 Olds

2001 Chevrolet Suburban (black)

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you who haven`t been here long. David can have a terrible sense of humor at times. I mean he`s actually amused at pulling your chains. He`s just joking.

Ok David, how do you get to drive a Porsche for free? Does Holly pay for it? Hehe!

Post Thanks / Like

New Boat Care advice

Hi from a new poster,

I am hoping to get some decisions before this sale expires, so need some advice:

My brother has a brand new beautiful Malibu ski boat, and he takes good care of things, but I want to research and help him with best products and care.

For initial and occasional complete `waxing`, I am thinking of
    Collinite Fiberglass Boat Wax No. 925, or
    Gel Coat Labs All Marine Surface Sealant
    Is either one much better or easier ?

The most important and frequent care will be after a day or several-day trip,
    Step 1. What to wipe down immediately after pullout - some type of quick detailer - they use vinegar/water - switch to Babe`s Boat Brite? or ONR or ??

Step 2. When we get home, complete cleanup and detail/wax/protection.
    Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner No 920. or ONR or `Meguires boat wash`
    or ??
    then reapply protection.

Thx,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Using just a wax or sealant will only seal & protect a properly cleaned gel coat. Gel coat has microscopic pores. Oxidation starts in these pores and marine scum & residues migrate through the pores to attack the gel coat from within. Keeping the pores clean & sealed is important to the life of the gel coat.

In order to avoid a two step process and cut down on the time spent, I would suggest using a one step polish/sealant such as Gel Coat Labs One-step, Gel Coat Micro-Polish & Sealant or Pro-Polish by Shurhold. I apply one of these just before the season begins and again just before winter layup. During the boating season I just wash with water & dry to remove the marine scum. Then apply some quick detail spray.
    People are like trees....
    Most provide great comfort, while some just occupy space & stunt the growth of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Wax is not my choice

Dan
    I have detailed many boats down here is south florida, and all of them
    are in salt water. Boats require much more attention, and my feeling is that
    wax should not be used. Why, because it provdes no UV protection and does
    nothing to protect your gel coat. In fact, it sticks to the gel and like fly paper
    will trap dirt, grime, and marine scum to the surface. Washing you boat with
    Dawn and using a good quality sealant as recomended makes better sense.
    Sealants can stand higher temps and will seal the gel and not allow things to stick to surface. If you can prevent using a wheel and compound to restore
    shine, the longer your gel will last.

Post Thanks / Like

Pontoon Boat

Any suggestions for pontoon boats? Wow those toons are dirty. What would the best stuff be for the painted sides, with decals!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dryon and Billd55, Thanks for your advice.

What if, the boat will never see salt water,
    and, between ski trips it is covered and parked under a carport. Then I believe the UV is not that much of a problem.
    Per strong recommendation of Phil @ PAC, I plan to use Collinite Insulator Wax 845, which I see is same as Collinite Fiberglass Boat Wax 925,

Then for wipedowns I will try both Gel Coat Labs All Marine Quick Detailer,
    and Babe`s Boat Brite. They both sound very good.

Thanks.

Dan

It`s SUUUUCH a beautiful boat, I can`t wait to sit in it, or wax it, or just look at it again!

Post Thanks / Like

It is your choice

Dan
    Your boat may never see salt water, and that is a good thing. I have been using an acrylic paint sealant since 1992.Why, because it is a better product and has deeper a shine than any wax. It seals and protects your gel coat for six months min., and you can wash it with Dawn soap and wipe it down. I have seen many boats down here in Florida, and I can say without a doubt
    that using wax will lead to dulling. It may not happen right away, but over time it will happen even in fresh water.Check out this u tube video I did on a boat that has been done every year since new with this product. The white haze you will see is salt water build up which is dried by the sun. You will also notice that the blue gel has very little wear after buffing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0jVXWnpH8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information