Post Thanks / Like

Glue removal on a jet ski??

I have old excess glue around all the foot mats on the jetski. Any ideas what to start with to try to remove them? I tried simple green a while back. Should i try goof off or something stronger like a reducer, mineral spirits, or laquer thinner? Am i thinking too strong? Its just on fiberglass, no stickers around the area. I also have megs super degreaser and purple power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustangous View Post
    I have old excess glue around all the foot mats on the jetski. Any ideas what to start with to try to remove them? I tried simple green a while back. Should i try goof off or something stronger like a reducer, mineral spirits, or laquer thinner? Am i thinking too strong? Its just on fiberglass, no stickers around the area. I also have megs super degreaser and purple power.
    I`ve removed glue with Goo Gone. But it really depends on the type of glue and how old it is, how hard it is, how much is there, etc. Goo Gone works well on some things, others it won`t even touch.

TOGWT may have a better soloution. I believe he`s a retired chemical engineer.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M adhesive remover comes in either a spray can or a straight can and does a great job. I had to replace the hood pad on my 22 year old Benz, and all of that old glue had to come off. The 3M stuff did a terrific job. Their extra strength spray adhesive also did a great job putting the new pad in place.

Most parts stores carry the 3M adhesive remover. If that does not work, I don`t know what will. Acetone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slik560 View Post
    3M adhesive remover comes in either a spray can or a straight can and does a great job. I had to replace the hood pad on my 22 year old Benz, and all of that old glue had to come off. The 3M stuff did a terrific job. Their extra strength spray adhesive also did a great job putting the new pad in place.

Most parts stores carry the 3M adhesive remover. If that does not work, I don`t know what will. Acetone?
    That stuff is awesome. I removed all the decals on my 18 year old boat using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys... USed the 3m stuff this weekend and worked great!

Thread Information