Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike View Post
TL, it`s got air vents on the front fairing. They are black plastic wind wings, can be adjusted to direct air on you while cruising to keep you cool. Heard of those?
The adjustable ones are on `09 and newer Electra Glides. They swirl easy, M105 cleans `em right up by hand.

Don`t forget under the fuel fill door... often overlooked and it gets pretty gunky in there from spilled fuel. When they redesigned the 6 gallon tanks an air bubble was created in the top and getting the last 1/2 gallon in takes about 20 - 30 mini pulls on the pump handle. Get one of those tight, uncooperative pumps and there`s no way to avoid making a mess. Which explains swirls on the top of the tank. It`s a natural reaction to wipe the splattered fuel off, frequently with those crap paper towels hanging at gas stations.

I`d suggest having the owner remove the saddlebags for you. They`ve been using those bogus Dzuz fasteners since the 60s. Might want to take a rubber mat or something to set them on so you don`t scratch up the bottoms setting them on concrete or asphalt.

If he yanks the seat for you it makes it easier to get the rearmost portions of the tank. If you do any wiping around under there or polish the now-exposed top of the rear fender be careful around electrical connections. The ECM sits right there on top of the battery and a tug on a wire frequently ends up in a troubleshooting session when something doesn`t work. Lots of electricals under the small sidecovers so avoid blasting around there with water. I wouldn`t bother taking them off because when you see the crud underneath you`ll be tempted to clean it up a bit which can result in hours of fun with Q tips and swabs. A hundred miles later they`ll be full of road crud again.

I generally recommend just cleaning up the rubber pads on the footboards.. no dressing there or on handgrips. I use PB`s Natural Look on mine as well as on rubber floor mats in the car but you have to be sure you buff off the slightest residue. The underside of the rider footboards is a crud accumulator as well. Cheezy chrome on the underside and a prime place for corrosion to start. Brillo or SOS works well.

TL