Post Thanks / Like

First Boat ~ Clueless

Hello, I recently got an inquiry to detail a 60` Sport Fishing boat.

The email goes as follows:
    What would it cost to detail, compound and wax uppers on 60` sport fish
    boat?
    Hewlett behind house in water with U shaped dock
    Now my question is, how much would you charge per foot on this badboy and what am I to expect?

What is considered the uppers? What ever is on the outside of the boat and appearing out of the water?

Last question is with Gelcoat, Can I just compound or would it require a polish following it up?

Sorry for all of the questions

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Boat ~ Clueless

Honestly, if you don`t have a clue, I would pass. Not trying to be brutal, but boats can be a chore. What to use on the boat really depends on the condition of it. I typically use a wool pad on a rotary with 3M marine compound and (sometimes) follow with a lighter polish with the PC, then wax. Again, depending on the condition.

Also, what to charge. That depends on how in depth you want to go or what the client is willing to pay. You can charge by the linear foot, but then you have "how tall is the boat". I normally start in the $10 per foot range and go up and up and up from there.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Honestly, if you don`t have a clue, I would pass. Not trying to be brutal, but boats can be a chore. What to use on the boat really depends on the condition of it. I typically use a wool pad on a rotary with 3M marine compound and (sometimes) follow with a lighter polish with the PC, then wax. Again, depending on the condition.

Also, what to charge. That depends on how in depth you want to go or what the client is willing to pay. You can charge by the linear foot, but then you have "how tall is the boat". I normally start in the $10 per foot range and go up and up and up from there.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I really do not want to pass this opportunity up but I don`t want to be in over my head as well so I was actually thinking of finding another reputable local detailer that has marine experience and splitting the bill in exchange for some experience and insight.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I really do not want to pass this opportunity up but I don`t want to be in over my head as well so I was actually thinking of finding another reputable local detailer that has marine experience and splitting the bill in exchange for some experience and insight.
    TexasTB is right. That is not a job you should take. That boat needs an experienced boat detailer to tackle it. Your idea about splitting the job with a good boat detailer might be the way to go. If doing boats like that interests you, you could probably get a boat detailer to hire you and learn from him.

As far as what to charge. Since you are only doing the upper part of the boat then I would estimate my time and add at least 2 hours because boats always take longer than you think they will.

Don`t be cheap either. This guy is calling you in the summer time wanting you to work on his neglected boat. I know if it were here I would pass simply because I would only be willing to tackle a job like that in nice weather.

Stevie Turbos
    Post Thanks / Like

well said texas...i think if u have no knowledge than pass..or have ur buddy who has knowledge help u..also some boats with alot of oxidation can be very teeth cringing when ur unknowledgable...but hey we all start somewhere maybe not a 60 footer lol but try it see what happens..

Post Thanks / Like

I would be afraid that a job like this will make you never want to touch a boat again if its your first one. Boats are hard work but can pay very well if your not afraid to bid it accordingly. You also need to meet with him and see the boat first hand and have him show you exactly what he considers the uppers.

Thread Information