"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

91 883 Hugger living outdoors

Has anybody here done any serious resurrections on really rusty nasty bikes of any types that may share some secrets to restoring the metal to a close to new look? My sister owns this bike and has let it live(or die) on her porch under awning but uncovered. The engine cases and covers were so pitted end corroded that I had to sand off what was left of the clear protective coating and now have raw exposed aluminum that in a short time gets all oxidised. The fender struts will either be replaced or painted because the pitting is so bad. This bike will be a challenge that I have an interest in undertaking without spending a lot of money replacing stuff but rather sand, polish, paint, scrub, protect etc. I am just looking for experience, strength and hope here as I am not willing to put even a dime of my money into replacing what will just end up the same way again. But I am looking for product and process Ideas that experienced folks may have to offer. I will post some pics at a later time. Thanks in advance, TD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 91 883 Hugger living outdoors

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

finished yet?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned up a 1979 Honda CX500 that had been in a shed for six years, but it was not as bad as what you have there.
    0000 Steel wool and some chrome cleaner did a decent job removing rust from the old Honda`s chrome, but some of yours looks like it is not surface rust.
    Much of the rust and crud I removed with a brass wire brush. The brass brush doesn`t seem to mess thing up quite as bad as a regular steel wire brush.
    Steel wool, fine sandpaper, chrome and aluminum cleaner, a paint cleaner and/or rubbing compound and lots or work.
    Doing some disassembly will help in getting access to many of the areas.
    Waxing the bare aluminum will help with the oxidation, but uncoated aluminum has always been a PIA for me.
    You may be able to make it look much better, but it isn`t going to look new.
    Some painting appears to be needed as well.
    If it was anything but a Harley, I wouldn`t waste the time on it. Being as it is an 883, it won`t be worth a lot when you are done even if it is a Harley.
    It might be an interesting project/challenge, but it will probably frustrate you a little.

Just a comment on it being "uncovered". Much of the corrosion would probably have occurred even if it had been covered. The covers seem to trap a lot of moisture and condensation can be really bad under a cover. I have seen engines that looked like they had been sprayed with a hose.
    I have an expensive cover that I don`t use because of that condensation.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

thank you Charles...

Post Thanks / Like

a lil work and that thing b sexy it really doesnt look that bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    guess how many donuts i can, uh, um never mind

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a great project bike to disassemble, and sandblast, anodize, powder coat, chrome plate or paint, depending on what type of metal and what design you come up with. Do it a little at a time, as you can afford it. Doesn`t sound like anyone is riding it right now.

I just had two brake drums powder coated for $25. A buddy and I went together on the oven time at a local powder coat shop. You can go crazy on the colors. Use smoke chrome powder coat as a base, finished with a candy color. Check out the Eastwood catalog. Or, you could do a "rat bike", with a dull finish in almost any color.

Reupholster the seat, "tumble" the nuts, bolts, small parts, etc. You can go crazy with a Hugger and have a very unique scooter! Have fun.
    JohnHenry

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no question but what it could be an interesting project, but you will put in a lot of work and spend more money than you plan on.
    Check the retail prices on the bike at NADA.
    1991 Harley Hugger Prices

Restoring old things is best done for the enjoyment rather than for profit.
    A friend of mine that has done several street rods and an original restoration says, "Take your best estimate of costs, triple that and you will only be a little short."

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

That will take some work....
    probably some 0000 steel wool and then some aluminum polish (pick your favorite)
    but it will take some time.

Good luck ... look forward to the afters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Restoring old things is best done for the enjoyment rather than for profit.
    A friend of mine that has done several street rods and an original restoration says, "Take your best estimate of costs, triple that and you will only be a little short."
    HaHa! Good advice, Charles. There`s no question that this project doesn`t pass a break-even analysis.

I was thinking that Dave`s got a popular bike to start with, that is currently a worthless POS, but he could have a very cool ride for $1K to $2K (or a lot less) over a year, and have some fun doing it.

I just don`t see this cycle "cleaning up" to anything anyone would want to ride. And... who among us enthusiast nimrods on DC is really motivated by profit? LOL! (Don`t tell my wife I said that!)
    JohnHenry

Thread Information