Thread: Rotor Aircraft

Post Thanks / Like

Rotor Aircraft

Anyone have any experience in detailing a Helicopter? I start on top and work my way down and back towards the tail rotor. Just curious if anyone has a different way of doing it? Oh! and what products do you all use? I use jetstream products at the moment but are expensive as h%$%!

SJRServices

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotor Aircraft

I have never done a helicopter. Sounds like the way I would attack it though.

Got any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never taken pics. Imma start doing so tho. I got one pic on my website I took it a few months ago its my first plane i did when I started my business. Not a very good pic I took it on my cam phone. It was a trip ready job. Home

Post Thanks / Like

I have also yet to a helicopter myself . I talked to some guys the other day at the hanger about doing there`s but I have yet to tackle one. I would recommend you sticking with jetstream for a few reasons . 1 the mechanics can be a pain in the ass on asking what your using ( they tend to think we are stupid on what to use ) and when you show them those products they tend to shut up. 2 to cover your ass . Also are you doing that rinse threw the motor or what not ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjr View Post
    I`ve never taken pics. Imma start doing so tho. I got one pic on my website I took it a few months ago its my first plane i did when I started my business. Not a very good pic I took it on my cam phone. It was a trip ready job. Home
    Run a spell checker over your home page. I looked only briefly but both dedicated and accumulated are spelled wrong. You know, put the best foot forward.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Naw fortunately the Owner of the FBO That calls me in for jobs has his own AMT`s He Charges separate for engine cleaning. Closest I get to the engine are the nacelle`s. I wouldnt be comfortable in doing something like that either. Depending on the aircraft some of the engines run in the neighborhood of 2&3 hundred grand lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks gearhead need to get my sis to correct those words. She built the website for me and she mispelled them. Me and computers really aren`t the best of friends. Thanks for reminding me tho.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t done a helicopter yet, either. But I would assume that the paint can`tbe that much different than general aviation, and the airframes are probably aluminum. Carbon-X may be a more cost effective cleaner. It goes about $20/ gal on Skygeek.com and is Mil-Spec. So is Aero Glaze wax, and I love the shine it brings out on single stage paint. Plexus for the glass....although Arrow-Magnolia has a product it specifically named "Helicopter Polish" for plexiglass.

I`d like to hear a little about your additional services like baggage handling and snack re-stocking. How are those services doing for you? I have yet to get any corporate aviation accounts. I`m 100% G.A. so far. But I`m out there pounding the tarmac and getting my name out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well business is kinda slow this year compared to other years. The baggage handling is not an everyday thing it does ok at KLRD The FBO`s have known me a long time so when a charter flight comes in from Mexico and needs to come into customs, baggage and passengers need to be offloaded any food that is not vaccum sealed needs to be disposed of and destroyed as per USDA regs. I ussually go in with some friends that still work for the airlines there because its normally a 20-30 minute turnaround so we`ll charge the charter company by the hour for ground support services. When its something big like a 757, 737 ,or an airbus. On small aircraft I`ll usually handle it on my own and do the same service unload send through the baggage belt and do the interior cleaning.Once through customs the passenger or passengers are done I`ll usually have my walk through done aswell and I`ll load up their stuff. For food and beverages Big flights its the norm peanuts and a variety of sodas, beer, and whiskey. I keep a little stuff in stock just in case. sodas are what I use the most. An aircraft will radio in to the FBO and request fuel and such about half an hour or so and I do my best to find out then what Im going to need. Small Charter companies will make contact with me especially like at KHBR its a small rural airport the big industry here this time of year is deer hunting season. Corporate jets such as leers gulfstreams and twin engine turbo props are the norm. These people are not the run of the mill peanut and pretzel crowd. I mainly get requests for interior cleaning and for wild game platters such as fried bacon wrapped quail, dove with mexican rice and homemade pinto beans homemade flour tortillas, fried catfish, or seafood, mesquite grilled steaks, my 1 pound mesquite grilled burger and homemade fries. Pilots love the burgers! Especially when these guys are just flying in in the middle of the night just to drop off and take off again. They get a kick of the fact that a hot homemade burger and fries is waiting for them. The good thing about this its not a regular thing. For catering dishes I require at least 24 hrs notice and for my burgers I require at least 1-2 hours notice.
    SJR Services

Thread Information