Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cleaning up a boat?

I am about to purchase myself a used bass fishing boat. I`ve been negotiating and talking with a fellow who has one he`d sell. All other things aside about purchasing a used boat, I was hoping to get some ideas opinions on cleaning this one up. Everything is in good working order, it has just been sitting covered since last year. My main concerns are cleaning the carpet and giving the boat a good polishing. I`ll attach a couple of pictures to show you what I`ve got to deal with.

I`m getting the boat at a steal (well below the NADA value) because the gentleman just wants to pay it off, so I`m thinking if all I have to do is clean it up then I am coming out very well. I`ve already had word from a mechanic that the motor looks fine and passed a compression check. The impeller was replaced last year.

Anyone else got any tips I`d be glad to hear them. I know some of you have boats and have worked on boats. I should mention I`ll be doing all this in my garage while the boat is on the trailer, as I don`t know any other way to go about it.

FYI I will be removing the rod holders you see in the first attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning up a boat?

What is the brand, year model, power? I sold Bass Boats (and others) for two decades + until 2005 so I`m reasonably familar with them overall. I see by the decal it`s in the 17` range but there`s not enough detail to determine the brand. I can see it`s got a Merc on it, two stroke or four stroke?

As far as the carpet goes it`s awfully hard to beat a good powerwash then park it outside with the bow raised high, all lids open, and the drain plug(s) out.
    The brushes available for the PC & Cyclo make short work of spot cleaning with a good APC solution. If the carpet is really rough then a diluted APC can be applied heavily with a garden sprayer (wet the carpet first with the hose) and left to soak prior to the powerwash.

By all means get a spare prop and spare tire. If the current prop has even one good nick in it have it repaired. Other than the trolling motor that is your only means of propulsion so a spare prop and the tools needed to change it "at sea" are a must. It`s not if you`ll whack up a prop it`s when.......it`s gonna happen so be prepared. Same for spare tire, jack, lug wrench, etc. Take it from one who has learned the hard way over the years.

Congratulations on your new rig or soon to be.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a 2000 Astro Fish 172. Mercury 125. People seem to have a good opinion of these boats at a couple of the bass boat forums I asked about it at. It`s not a Ranger or Bass Cat from what I`ve been told, but they are nice for "first time" boat owners. To tell the truth, I was originally looking at an aluminum type (i.e. Bass Tracker) in the same length with a smaller motor, but I came across this one.

I believe the length is 17` 2" and I believe the beam is somewhere around 6` 6". FWIW, I generally fish all by myself.

As far as cleaning the carpets, would it be okay to use a pressure washer? I believe I was told by others at the boat forum that this boat is all fiberglass - i.e. that it does not have marine plywood floors. However, I don`t know how correct that info is.

Post Thanks / Like

I sold Astro boats from the first year they came out, it was initially a Brunswick product so naturally a Merc engine was matched up. As I recall the floor and stringers are plywood but they are encapsulated in glass. Any wood used was pressure treated, not just coated, so it is impervious to rot. Yes, using the pressure washer is fine. Use reasonable caution around the edges of the carpet since it is glued down, you don`t want to blast it so close that an edge starts coming up. If so waterproof glue takes care of it.

Have you run the boat yet? That combination should provide upper 40`s to mid 50MPH range. Boat speedos are notoriously optimistic but at least a decent indicator of speed. That particular rig had a tendency to porpoise with the larger four cylinder engines. It is easily corrected but run the boat prior to the dotted line being inked with two aboard, 1/2 tank (or more) of fuel, all batteries, gear, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t ran the boat yet, that is the final thing I plan to do before saying 100% that I am buying it. I am not as interested in boat speed as I am in stability on the water when standing/casting. From what I am told the 17`-18` range is stable enough to fish for long periods of time, handle semi-rough water (wakes from other boats, etc) and not be too much of a drag on gas mileage towing and gas usage by the outboard motor.

The boat does have an aftermarket fish finder/GPS unit on it, so I assume I could get a realistic speed reading from that.

I guess since we`ve drifted a little bit from just cleaning the boat, I could ask you if there`s anything particular I should try and look at other than the obvious hull damage, transom cracks, etc? Do you know if the transom is 100% fiberglass or if it has some wood in it.

I could possibly be looking at a 1995 or 1996 Ranger Sport R70, depending on if the fellow sells it Friday. My dad told me about it as he works with the guy. Don`t know much about it other than the model and it has a 115 Johnson on it. Any pros to cons versus the two if I had the opportunity to choose between them?

Post Thanks / Like

When you are peacefully fishing and the distant sky starts looking like a purple bruise headed your way you will be interested in speed, believe me. The Astro or Ranger will fish two without much fuss, it is a stable rig for it`s size.

The Sport series of Rangers was the "entry level" Ranger price wise. The 115 OMC is near bulletproof but parts may be a problem and they love to consume fuel. OMC shut down some years back and are owned by the Polaris folks in Canada now. It will likely have many more hours simply due to age. Unless it is the steal of the century I would choose the Astro for whatever that is worth. Astro is gone and Ranger is still in business but that really has no bearing on buying the Astro.

I think that the 2000 model year still used pressure treated wood in the transom but that isn`t a negative really so I wouldn`t sweat it. A very quick test of transom strength is to lower the engine into running position and push hard with your foot on the cavitation plate. While doing this you are watching for ANY flex in the transom. There should be absolutely zero. This is best accomplished when the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle.

Most stress cracks are in the gel coat only and usually not severe but do bear close inspection around the transom area.

So as not to further take this thread off topic you can PM me and we`ll go that way or e-mail as you prefer.

Rick

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the boat i sell a lot of PwC for boats, like previously said, APC, a bit of scrubbing and then a gentle power wash should clean it up well.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, thanks for the info.

Steve - I was thinking I`d give Pro Polish a try, since I had some of it around. What do you think about that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Okay, thanks for the info.

Steve - I was thinking I`d give Pro Polish a try, since I had some of it around. What do you think about that?

It will work too, but then you need to do another step for protection

Post Thanks / Like

I will also need some advice on the vinyl seating. Should I be okay with an APC of some type with a soft brush agitation?

Wax or sealant for protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I will also need some advice on the vinyl seating. Should I be okay with an APC of some type with a soft brush agitation?

Wax or sealant for protection?
    APC/Natural Look and a soft brush for the vinyl will also help prevent any mold ...
    I like wax in water it`s a natural barrier

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel coat is hard.
    Removing oxidation with a PC takes some time and effort.
    Removing marring and fine scratches with a PC takes a lot of time and effort.

If you are using a PC, I think the same products you would use for an automobile would be a good place to start. I have used the Meguiar`s Marine line of products and didn`t feel they offered anything special.

If you really want to make the boat virtually blemish free, I think you will need a rotary and some fairly aggressive compound. Personally, I wouldn`t bother.

The carpet should be able to stand cleaning with an APC and pressure washing without any real problems.
    Someone mentioned using caution at the edges when using the pressure washer and that is good advice for not only the carpet, but for many areas of the boat.
    Pressure washers are kind of like a rotary. Used correctly, they can do a great job. Used incorrectly and they can do a lot of damage. A 0 degree tip on a 2,000 lb. unit will drill a hole in most wood if held in one spot.

A Boat: A hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass into which you dump great gobs of money.
    Enjoy!

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been waiting on you to chime in all day on this CW. Any further tips related to either the cleaning or the purchasing part, please feel free to forward them my way.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it`s worth when I clean/detail boats I use two of the PC brushes on the Cyclo and it makes short work of cleaning the vinyl seats (& carpet as mentioned). The cleaning solution is Amazing Roll Off & water @ 50%. UV protection is a must so I go with 303 on the seats and vinyl/plastic areas of the dash. Protection without slickness or dust attraction is key. The fishing seats have plastic frames so rot is not a concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone heard of these products? Would they be much better than any of the auto detailing stuff I have laying around?

Bass Boat Saver ::: boat cleaner, uv sun protector for gel-coat finishes, boat cleaner and wax in one appplication, designed for any gel-boat surface, total protection for boat, motor and trailer

NuHull.com

They were suggested at one of the boating forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information