Post Thanks / Like

Well, I sold the Virago

I paid something like $1200 for the bike in February and put less than $200 bucks into it. Today I had someone offer me $3300 bucks for it and I took it. How could I resist??? I could add a couple hundred bucks to that and go buy a ten year newer V-Star or something.

But instead of buying a new bike I thought I`d try something different. I bought a 2001 Honda Reflex. Like I said before, I only have a two mile commute to and from work. The bike just wasn`t any fun in that short of distance. I simply don`t have the time to ride it as much anyway and it was only a 535 to begin with, so how much fun can you really have. Maybe I`ll just keep saving and get a Warrior one of these days.

Anyway, here is what it looks like in case you haven`t ever seen one. It is a way slick looking bike that confuses the heck out of people when they see it. From the front it looks like a bullet bike and from behind it is hard to tell what it is.

Here are the tail lights. They are taken from the look of the S2000. I`ve always liked those.

The guy who sold it to me had called about getting some detailing done on it before he sold it and I just happened to talk him out of listing it. Not only that, and I still can`t believe this, but I got it for about $500 UNDER book value. It`s a 2001 and it only has about 2300 miles on it. The thing is in near perfect condition except for a little paint swap on the side that will be easy to remove. I can`t wait to detail it.

If you haven`t ever ridden a scooter then you don`t know what you are missing. Actually, maybe you do. Those Metropolitans and Vespas are weeeeeak sauce when it comes to fun. This is a 250cc scooter that will do 80 on the freeway. It`s not as gutsy as the Virago or any other motorcycle is, but the purpose of this bike is to get you cross town when necessary, but mostly just to buzz around your neck of the woods. That is exactly what I do on it, so it is going to be perfect. I made about 800 bucks on the deal between selling the Virago and buying this, so that should get new tires on it and a full checkup. It will also pay for daycare for about 6 weeks, so that is always a good deal.

Anyway, I thought I would show off pictures of what will be my new toy this weekend. I can`t wait to get started on cleaning it up. It is a bit dusty and it needs some love. Its silver though, so that should be easy. It will match my Pilot perfectly.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well, I sold the Virago

Congrats on the new sale and purchase. I`m not a big fan of scooters, but as long as you`re happy, that`s all that counts.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats...with being only two miles from work with the kind of mileage those get you should fill up once a month...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All that custom work and you barely got to enjoy it

Good luck with the scooter and wear a helmet
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll get to enjoy the profits. That is better than a motorcycle. Anytime you can nearly tripple your investment on something I would say that it is a good time to sell. I bought it as an investment and this was just the best time to cash in on it.

You know audiboy... I seem to remember you not being a fan of the bike originally when I got it. lol I get the idea that bikes just aren`t your thing. That`s cool though. It takes all types I guess. Scooters aren`t really my thing either, but this one is unique enough to what I see around here that I don`t mind it. These things have been known to last more than 150,000 miles. I can`t say that my confidence in the Virago motor was that high. It was running really hot and quite lean for some reason. The header was really starting to blue and there was a knock in the engine. I don`t have the time or knowledge to tear the thing apart and figure it out. I need something reliable to get me back and forth. The fact I can actually carry my lunch with me to work in the glove box on this thing is more than enough reason to get it. And who knows....? Next year when gas is $7 bucks a gallon and these things are selling for ten grand, maybe I will have made a wise choice after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Great sale....love it when that happens
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it has happened for me a couple of times with lucky ebay purchases when the seller didn`t know what they had. I was pretty pumped when I bought it simply because I knew he could have sold it for more. I can always get another bike painted by the same guy, so I`m not really losing anything. If I had spent the $1500 bucks that paint job probably would have cost me, then I would be a lot more sad to see it go.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a cool looking thing. As the Pest (John Leguizamo) says "there fun until you friends catch you riding on it" lol if you saw the movie there is a part he says in front of it that makes it better. Well great purchase and have lots of fun.

P.S. Hondas are so easy to work on and so reliable.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    You know audiboy... I seem to remember you not being a fan of the bike originally when I got it. lol I get the idea that bikes just aren`t your thing. That`s cool though. It takes all types I guess.
    I appreciate the power to weight ratio of some bikes and some of the details in some designs, but that`s about it. I`m definitely more of a car nut. I`ve just really never been a fan of over the top paint jobs or a ton of chrome. Unfortunately, motorcycles are prone to have both. I can totally understand why you sold it and why you bought the new scooter. That thing should be saving you a ton of gas.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Big time gas savings. I should be seeing an average of 70mpg with the kind of riding that I`ll be doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Big time gas savings. I should be seeing an average of 70mpg with the kind of riding that I`ll be doing.
    Thats worth it alone lol
    What are the gas prices by you like????

Post Thanks / Like

About 3.17 a gallon for the cheap stuff around here lately. I had to drive out to Modesto, CA (northern california) a couple weeks ago and I actually saw 2.89 out there. I was shocked. Everywhere else is still about 3 and a quarter on average I guess, but I`ll take my 70mpg where I can get it. 2 mile commute one way + 70 mpg + let`s say a 3 gallon tank = fill up every two months or so. I can`t wait.

My bike just barely drove out of my garage. Fools. They didn`t even read the bill of sale that I gave them and had them sign before I made a copy. (law background) Contract law was my bread and butter when I was a contracting paralegal. I love that kind of stuff. I didn`t write anything too tricky into it, but they should have ready it anyway since the option of bringing it back if it throws a rod halfway down the block is nonexistent. I have herby sold and transfered my property forever to the purchaser. lol Fools. Always read your contracts. I didn`t screw them with anything, but I was sort of expecting them to ask what some of that meant. I could have said that the bike needs to be returned to me in 3 months with no refund if I wanted to, and they signed it blindly. ...fools.

Post Thanks / Like

About 3.17 a gallon for the cheap stuff around here lately.
    Always read your contracts.
    I drive down to NJ to get gas its about 2.95 makes it worth the 5 or 6 min trip.

Always read your contracts.
    But sometimes the print is so small

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    But sometimes the print is so small
    Yes, but so are bullets.

Thread Information