Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bike is being painted

Based on the fact that this week is supposed to be cold and wet, and I can probably survive a couple without the bike anyway, I took it down to my painter on Saturday to transform it from Yellow to..... something else. Last night my painter sent me a picture of his progress on one of the side covers. This is just progress and not the finished product, of course. He had only had the bike about a day and a half when he sent this to me at midnight.

We went with a different paint scheme based on the amount of time I am able to go without the bike (it is my mode of transportation to and from work normally) and also based on some thought about the other concept he sent. It would be awesome if the bike was bigger to accomodate the `big` look of the graphics, but mine is just a bit too small for that. I really liked the look though, so we decided to go for something a little opposite. I know it isn`t the look for everybody, but I like it and that is all that matters, right? However, since everybody else`s opinions are important too, what do you guys think? No matter what you think of the concept, the fact he did that in about a day really speaks for his talent. I`ve seen examples of his work in this regard before and this isn`t finished yet. It will get darker and more detail on the rips later I`m sure.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bike is being painted

Although I`m not really fond of the design, I can definately see the the great craftsmanship and quality of your painters work. But honestly, like you said, your opinion is the only one that matters. Whenever someone tells me that they don`t like something that I did to my car I always tell them "Well, it`s a good thing I didn`t get one for you then."(or something to that effect).
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

You can certainly see that your painter is talented but as I said in an earlier thread, for me simple is good. I`m not crazy about the scheme and you`re 100% right, if you like it, that`s all that matters.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I figure it is a good start in case I ever decide to go really custom with this bike. If nothing else, the resale value on the pieces just went up if I were to ever part it out. lol In the custom chopper community I think this work will get the credit it deserves. I really hope that my artist gets some good milage off the work he is putting into it. He only charged me $120 for paint and that`s it. He`ll have it for two weeks and I`ll pick it up on the 7th or 8th.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going with a bit darker body. I know the blue flames don`t show up as well, and the whole thing will be difficult to identify from a distance, but it is the up close impact that I am going for. It also tones it down a bit I think. What do you think compared to the original version?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting , did you ever consider adding a touch of orange as a highlight to the flames
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

What do you call the theme? Old industrial park?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not the painter, so I don`t get to consider very much. I don`t really need the flames to stand out. I like that they disappear into the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some update pics. This is the tank so far. The white area is going to look like the side cover minus the tears. I love how this guy does ripped metal. He makes it look so realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it is coming along well, and you seem to be happy with the results and thats whats important.

I`ll reserve judgement on like or dislike till I can see the completed work on the bike.
    Needless to say I look forward to the finished pics.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

More update pictures. It is actually much darker blue than these pictures lead you to believe. The flash lightens it up quite a bit. There is still a little more detail work in the flames to give it depth, and then the process of clear, sand, clear, sand, etc. I love the rear fender though. That thing looks awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up the bike this afternoon and got a couple pictures before the sun went down. This thing is awesome looking! I can`t believe he did all this work for free.

I don`t see swirl free black paint very often, so I`m enjoying it while I can. I`m going to give it some time before I wax over it or seal it or anything, but I`m sure I`ll be able to keep the swirls under control. It isn`t like paint on a bike gets a whole lot of contact anyway. I`d say this whole process definitely makes the bike look better than the way it was when it started.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Jngrbrdman; 04-14-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added a few pictures

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That really looks like a great quality paint job. You can tell that your painter definitely knows what he is doing. Congrats on the "new" bike!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

The bike looks sweeeeet.
    The painter is definitely talented.

Congrats and enjoy
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Judging from the last picture I`m thinking you no longer have a license plate if you drove it down the street to show it off. It turned out very nice. Now if I could just get you to ride it 60 miles south and take care of my truck.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information