Thread: My Virago

Post Thanks / Like

My Virago

I just purchased this bike this winter after selling my 98 Shadow 1100. My commute is just too short for that kind of a bike, so I figured it was time for a change. The Virago 535 was the predecesor to the V-Star 650 and is a great bike. It isn`t a road trip bike, but it is great for getting around town, and that is exactly what I need it for. The 1100 was just overkill.
    I wish I would have taken better process pictures along the way, but I do have a before and after of the wheels.

That was done with a tooth brush and chrome polish. I followed the same process with all of the tarnished chrome. You can see how brown the springs on the shocks are in that second picture. I can take after pictures when the sun decides to show itself. Everything is nice and shiny now. It isn`t quite in `show` condition just yet, but it is getting there.

I do web design in the winter when I can`t detail. I designed a site for a guy last fall that does custom airbrushing and paint on hot rods and motorcylces. He said that he would give me a custom paint job for free if he could do the sort of work that would look great on his website and if I would show it off for him at a show every now and then. Hmmm.. free paint job in exchange for showing it off? Let me think about that. lol No brainer. So it is going in for new paint at the end of February. I`m still not sure what I want it to look like. I was thinking of something simple, but I would really like to see what he can do. Maybe I`ll tell him to do a Spiderman theme or something. That would make for a really interesting custom job. We`ll see what he comes up with.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Virago

Nice bike..you are a brave man I`ll stick to 4 wheels and a lot of metal around me
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

My commute is pretty easy. Two miles down the road through two stop lights at 5 AM and then two miles back before rush hour. If I had to deal with much traffic or many intersections then I would probably choose a different mode of transportation, but at 50 - 60 miles per gallon and $120 per year for insurance, this is waaaaaay more economical than any car I could possibly drive. Its way more fun too. When you are working 70+ hours a week it is nice to have something to look forward to every day.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride!
    Just a comment about the painting.
    If it is original, give some thought to whether or not you really want to repaint. Just like cars, the factory paint is pretty hard to improve on. In the pictures, it looks pretty good. You might want to put a gingerbread man decal on the side cover, though.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    My commute is pretty easy. Two miles down the road through two stop lights at 5 AM and then two miles back before rush hour. If I had to deal with much traffic or many intersections then I would probably choose a different mode of transportation, but at 50 - 60 miles per gallon and $120 per year for insurance, this is waaaaaay more economical than any car I could possibly drive. Its way more fun too. When you are working 70+ hours a week it is nice to have something to look forward to every day.
    I see your point but around here even small cars fear for their lives as everyone owns bigger and bigger SUV`s and are always in a hurry to get two blocks in mili-seconds
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Nice ride!
    Just a comment about the painting.
    If it is original, give some thought to whether or not you really want to repaint. Just like cars, the factory paint is pretty hard to improve on. In the pictures, it looks pretty good. You might want to put a gingerbread man decal on the side cover, though.

Charles
    The rear fender needs some love. The previous owner had it for 4 years and he said the owner before him must have dropped something on it that caused a couple spots to be touched up. ....with GOLD paint. The factory yellow is fading pretty badly back there too. I haven`t tried too hard to clean it up, but I`m fairly sure it is the result of twelve years of sun with no protection on it. The tank has a couple spots on it where gas has stained it as well. Don`t get me wrong, it is still in great shape for a bike this age, and I could certianly live with the paint defects that it has, but a free paint job is a free paint job. I really want to clean this bike up well and use it to promote my business as well as his. Motorcycle detailing is an untapped market in the valley and I`d really like to get a piece of it. I think with a custom painted bike that really looks good then I will have a good shot at getting in the right circles to do some bike work.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I really want to clean this bike up well and use it to promote my business as well as his. Motorcycle detailing is an untapped market in the valley and I`d really like to get a piece of it. I think with a custom painted bike that really looks good then I will have a good shot at getting in the right circles to do some bike work.
    Not to rain on your parade, but if you want to make money with custom painting or detailing of motorcycles, I have one big piece of advice.
    Harley

If you can get into the Harley market, you can do pretty well. Most of us that ride rice burners are cheapskates.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I choose not to discriminate. Unless it is a Nissan then I`ll detail pretty much anything. (long story about the Nissans) I`m not going to cater specifically to Harleys simply because guys with cheap japanese bikes will likely have cars that need detailing too. My real intention is to use the bike to get into their garage and sell them on some services for their cars as well. Your point is well taken though. I know the guy painting my bike doesn`t do a lot of custom work for Yamahas or Hondas. Most of his work is on custom choppers and hot rods.

Thread Information