Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft Detailing Advice on this Job

I saw this on Craig`s List today while surfing around...I`m an ad junkie of sorts...Anyway I wanted to see what others think here and what sort of pay would be associated with this type of work...I would have to think that detailing a jet would be hard work, and a bit much for this 52 YO man!

Anyone?

Detailer for Jet Aircraft
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aircraft Detailing Advice on this Job

I would assume they want the insides detailed and not the outside. I cannot imagine going over a Jet with PC and SSR 2.5

Funny site to imagine !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandblah
    I would assume they want the insides detailed and not the outside. I cannot imagine going over a Jet with PC and SSR 2.5

Funny site to imagine !!
    Not only do aircraft owners want the outsides of their aircraft cleaned and polished, it is a requirement to have a clean body for proper airflow. A dirty plane could be disastrous!

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crobinso
    Not only do aircraft owners want the outsides of their aircraft cleaned and polished, it is a requirement to have a clean body for proper airflow. A dirty plane could be disastrous!

Charles
    Spot on (no pun intended). I mean seriously...have you ever seen a dirty aircraft? If you`ve never noticed, take a peek at the local airport for small craft. They`re usually spotless

*Edit* Having just read the ad, that might be a pretty sweet gig.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied to see what they where looking for the top is what I wrote, and this is what he wrote back, and how I replied to him.. I was suspect of the hourly wage, would not support what my current needs are....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir or Madam

I am responding to your aircraft detailing position on Craig`s List.

I have been operating a part time auto detail business (weekends) for the last 30 years. The type of vehicles that I have worked on range from high end imports, 4x4 trucks, boats, motorcycles, planes, etc.

I have spent the last 23 plus years working in the sales and marketing field for companies in the food, electronics and real estate industries.
    I have been very successful, however have wanted to make a move into the detail business for some time, but family income obligations have always taken priority.

I am interested in hearing what you are looking for and what compensation you are offering, where as I know that I am quite capable of doing the work that you require.

I can provide you with my resume but its really geared to sales and marketing. I can also send you a power point presentation of some of the work that I have done.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David

It is a pretty straight forward position: work with our maintenance people to schedule times to drive to Santa Rosa, Concord, Sacramento (though only two planes are there), Novato and Napa for the purposes of completely detailing the inside and outside of the jets we manage.

The position pays up to $18 per hour.

Requirements: ability to work unsupervised; extreme eye for "detail", etc. For someone wanting to take ownership of the "presentation" of the aircraft, who likes to be a different work locations on a regular basis, and who doesn`t like sitting behind a desk all day, who enjoys some manual labor and the immediate feedback it provides...it would be a good position.

An understanding of interior, upholstery, wax, carpet cleaning, leather conditioning would be great.

Signed
    (name)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear (name)

I have an excellent understanding of detailing chemicals and how they are used, and of detailing equipment. In addition I have an extreme eye for detail with my work, to the point of being anal.

I have been self employed for the last five years and need no supervision to stay motivated, my family keeps me that way.

My only concern with this position was the income, what you are offering is much better than any local detail operation, but really would not support my needs.

For me that`s really to bad as I was hoping this might be the break that I was looking for.

If you would still like to talk about this, I can be reached at the following numbers

All The Best
    David

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crobinso

Charles
    Only large amounts of dirt will redirect airflow and it would barely be noticed, if at all, unless of course, that large amount of debris was on or near a flight control surface. Aircraft should be cleaned every 4 months or so. I guess it all depends on what type of airfields the pilot uses though.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Excellent response regarding their compensation offer. While it`s a good wage, the way they phrased it reeks of less than full time work, which could end up not being fun, especially when you`ve got a family to support. I wonder how they will respond?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zilla
    Spot on (no pun intended). I mean seriously...have you ever seen a dirty aircraft? If you`ve never noticed, take a peek at the local airport for small craft. They`re usually spotless

*Edit* Having just read the ad, that might be a pretty sweet gig.

You should come to the flightline at my base. You have no idea what 4 turbo prob engines and the bugs down here can do to a clean aircraft. They get a pretty extensive scrubbing every 4 months, but they are quickly soiled after the first flight.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    You should come to the flightline at my base. You have no idea what 4 turbo prob engines and the bugs down here can do to a clean aircraft. They get a pretty extensive scrubbing every 4 months, but they are quickly soiled after the first flight.
    I do I was a C130 AC mechanic in the AF, based in TX...We had to clean those buggers as well....you talk about a job!!!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    I do I was a C130 AC mechanic in the AF, based in TX...We had to clean those buggers as well....you talk about a job!!!

Yeah, I work on C-130E`s, H`s, and J`s at Little Rock. Largest fleet of C-130`s in the world. Thankfully, I don`t and won`t ever have to wash them as long as I`m in the shop that I`m in now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    Don`t want to make the trip. I can imagine. And I wasn`t referring to them. Referring to prop type planes at the local airport. They`re always spotless. We`re talking about private type planes and small craft. Not military type transport aircraft or jets. They`re more workhorses... like a work truck.

Thread Information