Post Thanks / Like

Motorhome detailing...???

I put an add in craigslist last week just for kicks and giggles. I got my first call today from a guy wanting his boat done. I haven`t ever done boats and I wouldn`t have the foggiest idea of what to charge him. I told him that I don`t do them. Then he asked about motorhomes. Well, I figure that is something I could probably handle. He has a 36 foot motorhome. Having never detailed one of those before, I have no idea of what to charge on that either. I`m going to drive out sometime this week to take a look at it and give him a quote.

Just off the top of your head, what is a reasonable price for something like that? Any ideas? Just a wash and polish. I imagine it is white and probably just oxidized a bit and needs a good sealant. So maybe a wash, clay, SSR1 or maybe just AIO, and then a sealant. Probably a whole bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorhome detailing...???

i detail boats for a living and they arent too hard. if you have a good orbital buffer your pretty much good to go. compound for oxidation and you dont need to waste your money on marine wax. if you wanna know more about boats just contact me. price range is from 14 for basic wax job 16 for compund. and thats cheap. now rv`s ive only done 2. and they were the nice prevost ones with custom graphics and clear coat on it. the tops get oxidized pretty good and require an agressive wax with lots of cleaners in it. unless if you wanna go through the multistep process. we did them for like 10-12 a foot. i cant remember. maybe 10 for just the sides and an extra 100 or so to climb up top.

a step ahead
    Post Thanks / Like

Love doing motorhomes. Its a luxury item and nothing but flat surfaces. I am more than happy to tell you what I do, but obviously I don`t know your market. I am in a very high-end market and typically I am the most expensive in the area. Thankfully I earned that right.

When we do RVs: we wash the entire vehicle including roof(be careful around satellite dishes and seals if you use a pressure washer), polish, seal, windows,detail it out and tires/rims. Do not wax the roof, very dangerous.If in relatively good shape we are looking at ~$725, depending on my mood and schedule I might drop it to just under $700.

Things to keep in mind:
    1. this is discretionary income and thus a luxury item. By the sounds of it the gentleman has the extra income since he also mentioned a boat.
    2. you have to remember the total surface area on a rv relative to a car. 5- 7 times that of a vehicle. then you have to take into account that ladder/step stool work is also required and increased product usage.
    3. of course you are going to remind him that you are not just waxing, but also sealing- giving him the added protection.

as a point of reference my exterior details on vehicles typically range from $120 to 160. you should give boats a shot. once again a luxury item, relatively easy and an opportunity to work at the dock or outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like

14 per foot for wax and 16 per foot for compound on a boat? Wow... I need to start doing boats I guess. I`ll have to take a look at it and see what it is going to take. He said he wasn`t really in much of a hurry to get it done, so chances are that he won`t be shopping around. His goal is to find a mobile detailer to do it for him. Mobile guys are scarce in this neck of the woods. The weather sucks for too much of the year to make a living at it. I don`t know how many of them are going to be advertising in ways that this dude will find them anyway.

Thanks for your help. Great first post!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailz
    Love doing motorhomes. Its a luxury item and nothing but flat surfaces. I am more than happy to tell you what I do, but obviously I don`t know your market. I am in a very high-end market and typically I am the most expensive in the area. Thankfully I earned that right.

When we do RVs: we wash the entire vehicle including roof(be careful around satellite dishes and seals if you use a pressure washer), polish, seal, windows,detail it out and tires/rims. Do not wax the roof, very dangerous.If in relatively good shape we are looking at ~$725, depending on my mood and schedule I might drop it to just under $700.

Things to keep in mind:
    1. this is discretionary income and thus a luxury item. By the sounds of it the gentleman has the extra income since he also mentioned a boat.
    2. you have to remember the total surface area on a rv relative to a car. 5- 7 times that of a vehicle. then you have to take into account that ladder/step stool work is also required and increased product usage.
    3. of course you are going to remind him that you are not just waxing, but also sealing- giving him the added protection.

as a point of reference my exterior details on vehicles typically range from $120 to 160. you should give boats a shot. once again a luxury item, relatively easy and an opportunity to work at the dock or outdoors.
    That is also very helpful information. Your prices for cars are similar to mine, so what you are saying sounds right. I`m looking forward to seeing what kind of work I have ahead of me now.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw your ad. I was thinking about it

Post Thanks / Like

Funny update that I need to post.

So the guy calls me back yesterday to see if I was going to go out and look at the boat. I was like "uh... I thought I told you that I don`t do boats." He had me confused for the outfit that he did call and then flaked out on him. So he offered me the chance to come out and look at it anyway. I took a look at it and it isn`t as bad as I thought it would be. It`s still a pretty big boat. 28 feet and he wants the cabin detailed too. I quoted him $550 and he said that sounded like a deal. I`m starting at 7:00 on Saturday morning and we`ll see how long it takes me. Even if it takes 8 to 10 hours to complete, that is still respectable wages for a Saturday. Now I just hope I don`t run out of product... lol I just think it is funny that I turned down the job initially and then he called me back by mistake and I landed a $550 job. If I do a good job on this then the motorhome is in the bag. He sounds like he is going to be great for referals too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailz

Things to keep in mind:

I agree!! Detailing motorhomes is a good way to increase your profit margin. Out here we charge between $500 & $700 depending on the length (interior is extra). The roof is where the dirt is, and is just washed (and brushed).

A good tip to give any motorhome owner is to reverse its parking position at least monthly. That way it can oxidize evenly

Thread Information