Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Up next .... 35ft house boat

As the title states, picked up a 25 foot house boat, to be detailed this week.
    First boat for me....kinda scared and psyched about it.
    I did the ladies Volvo S80 on Saturday and now she wants the boat done.
    Went to the Marina to look at it today and give an estimate. I quoted $500 for the outside, but all she wants done is to buff the gelcoat out. Nothing below the rub rail......good.....no hull, as it was very bad. No windows or metal polishing either. She said the floor is fine, and not to clean it. No inside either.
    We agreed on a price of $300 just to Buff and clean the transom...nothing else. And the agreement was, that she had to get me more jobs at the Marina, as she says, she knows over half of the people there, and they want their boats done too. And let me tell you, there are some freaking nice boats there looking pretty bad from sitting......

Boat is pretty oxidized, and has a few rust stains on the flybridge. (thanks Greg..LOL) I did not have a rotary, so I will be picking one up tomorrow. Already bought a backing plate and a few wool pads. I figure I will spend about 75% of what I will make, on a buffer and supplies for boat detailing. I guess I need the stuff anyways if I will be doing boats too.....Have to get it sooner or later......

They had one house boat out there that was just absolutly enormous. It was at least double the length of this one and about 2.5 times as tall. Hell, it had a AC unit from a house on the back of it...
    They know who owns it, and are going to talk to them about it. They said they would pay to have it cleaned, no doubt. It would be at LEAST a grand. I will get pics of it this week......

For those that detail boats...On the rust, would using CLR be ok? Also, the metal step off of the transom, what can be used on that. They said not too worry about any metal, but I would like to at least do that......
    Any Questions or Comments???????
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Up next .... 35ft house boat

Glad you where able to pick up the detail. Have Fun Congrats

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL gibsons lol. We call those jalopies hehe. It shouldnt be too hard for ya. Enjoy!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT.....I said 25 foot in the first post....I meant 35 foot...
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

That will be easier then most boats. Its all straight without many corners. Boat designers do not make them for detailers. We just use a rust remover for rust stains, you can try that, or whatever you have thats fairly strong. if its light it may even buff out. Just try some stuff out, and don`t be worried about grinding a bit with the buffer, it won`t burn through.

Post Thanks / Like

That`ll be a fun one Chris. It doesn`t look like you have much stanging/laddar room on the sides. I`m sure the results will be outstanding.

What are you planning on using to cut the oxidation?

When I talked to scottlee about gel-coat he siad that it will make holograms with a rotary and that they are even harder to remove than on normal paint- just food for thought if this will be your first time with one. Good luck.

One more thing. Some type of aluminum wheel cleaner may work on that back step. I think Meg`s or Eagle One has one out in stores.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

yea, holograms are bad. and they are realy easy to spot on large flat surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice.....holograms....LOL

I am hoping none will be present when finished....
    I will be using a rotary with wool pads and 3M #09006

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars has a Rv & Boat Line
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like

I know. Hard to order and get it here by 6:30 in the morning though..... I`ll have to stick with OTC products here in town for now...

Post Thanks / Like

haha, thats the same stuff we use on most of our boats. Thats our one step product, and we got some better stuff for those who want to pay.

Yea, the key with boats is not to make wild, or strange movements. just go up and down or side to side and keep it the same the whole boat or as much as possible. That compound is fairly strong stuff, any shoe marks or anything will come out with it, just keep rubbing with your applicator. It might be impossible to have NO holograms, but making sure your pad is clean and dry helps alot.

Sometimes we even go over it once to get the majority of the wax, then switch to a softer wool pad and go over it again, this way your finishing pad stays clean and dry.

One more piece of advice, you will want a whole seperate pad for the blue. Trust me on that one. Any color on the white fiberglass seems to instanty dry and then its a pain to get to look good again. But there seems to be a nice divider piece to keep that from happening, if you use a different pad.

Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a couple of of pads and a backing plate. I am having NO LUCK finding a variable speed rotary. Lowes, home depot, wal mart, pawn shops....no one has anything. Just the 15k RPM ones that will instantly hit top speed with a light pull of the trigger......SUCKS....No idea what to do now.....

Post Thanks / Like

Found a rotary, Craftsman, 6 inch, with 2 speeds...1400 and 1650 RPMS.....would that be sufficient for the boat??????????

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    Found a rotary, Craftsman, 6 inch, with 2 speeds...1400 and 1650 RPMS.....would that be sufficient for the boat??????????
    Have you tried asking anyone at lowes,home depot? They should have them there. I know sears carries dewalt, they should have their rotary. It goes from 1000-3000 rpm.

The craftsman should be alright, but gelcoat is alot harder and sometimes you could use the extra punch that a dewalt can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Went everywhere. Only ones they had that were 7" were not variable speed, and they were friggen HUGE AND HEAVY. 12k RPM, right on start up. Benn to pawn shops, Tractor Supply, Hardware stores, paint stores, auto stores, everywhere.................

Now the hardware stores carry a huge variety of 4.5", but again, not variable speed. I may have to make an emergency order form our sponsors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information