Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle Detailer or Lacquer Paint Experts - Help Needed

Long time hobbyist detailer but NEW to motorcycle detailing. Just acquired a new bike and I believe the paint is lacquer. Obviously I want to do everything possible to protect it. I have the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and DP Coating on hand; would these work? There is also an option to go with the manufactures paint protection system. Any help\suggestions appreciated.

Motorcycle Detailer or Lacquer Paint Experts - Help Needed-tank-2-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle Detailer or Lacquer Paint Experts - Help Needed

There`s nothing special about that paint, other than being awesome, that would preclude any type of good low solvent wax/sealant/coating. Just use what you are good at using, and something that is pleasureable enough that you don`t hate doing it again down the road. WG sealant is hard to beat. If you use the coating, and have drips or high spots, you`ll be tempted to correct it, and that`s where you *could" get into smearing the graphic.

Now, polishing or compounding, that`s another story. If that graphic is single stage laquer, I wouldn`t touch it anything but my best towels and some spray wax between coats of Wolfgang sealant every 3 months-ish.
    Likes SirSealAot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SirSealAot- Welcome to Autopia!

I wouldn`t expect it to need anything special because it`s lacquer; only thing I`ve ever noticed is that ss lacquer tends to oxidize kinda quickly if left unprotected and it`s generally a bit soft. (My Jag is ss lacquer and I started doing this stuff back when all GMs and most foreign cars were too.)

I am wondering if it really *is* lacquer though...somebody who really knows from that kind of work oughta have a worthwhile opinion (mine wouldn`t really be...I do wonder though..kinda lean towards thinking it`s *not* ss lacquer but that`s just a wild quess).

The big thing IMO is that you don`t want to abrade that to do correction. So not getting it marred up in the first place would be my #1 priority.

I`d want something that provides a better physical barrier than a wax/sealant. If I did use a conventional LSP, I`d absolutely want something that lasts for a good long time.

Another potential issue with coatings: how would you prep the surface for a redo? I gather most coatings need to be abraded before they`re redone.

If I had something like that, I`d lean towards the old Klasse twins if only because many layers of KSG has provided an amazingly good build film for me, so thick that it`s resisted marring from (admittedly light) contacts with things that would normally have marred the paint. It`s the only conventional LSP with which I`ve experienced that and it utterly astounded me. I don`t like the look or all that layering, but I`d have it on my short-list.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Awesome graphics. When you get time could you post a pic of the whole bike?

And to your question, the WG sealant is a very good choice for long lasting protection. I would put a coat of a nice carnauba over the top of the sealant to warm it up some and for added protection. Once done maintain with soft microfibers and a spray wax like Pinnacle and do only rinseless washes with Wolfgang Rinseless.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it`s a single stage lacquer paint on that tank and bike , please be very very careful doing any type of light polishing on it. Just apply a wax like ( S100 Motorcycle Carnauba Paste Wax) and enjoy the bike.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate all the input; all good advice. I had to do some reading since I`ve never used the Klasse Twins.

ACC, the Klasse AIO seems to have a light chemical cleaner and can be used by hand. From what I`ve read this will not penetrate the lacquer or clear coat; has that been your experience?

My biggest concerns are clothing banging up against the tank, bugs, and rock chips.

May need to look around my area for a quality shop that could PPF the tank and fenders since a sealant will not likely address my concerns. I know PPF has improved tremendously but are there still problems with it yellowing as it ages? Are there concerns if and when you want to remove this? The bike will be garaged and I am leaning towards a quality cover. Thoughts? Sorry for all the questions; several things are new that I`ve never concerned myself with previously.

RLM, I`ll put up a couple photos of the entire bike in a day or two. I`m bringing the bike home tomorrow but unfortunately the pictures I have now are terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables with PPF/XPEL. Trying to find a vendor to cut it and then finding someone that knows what they are doing to put it on makes this an unlikely option.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live? Someone in your area might know somebody.

Was it information from the seller that it`s lacquer SS paint?
    Wonders if there is a compatible clearcoat that you could paint over that beutieful tank with. Look up a bodyshop that doing a lot of motorcycles. And they can maybe help you out which way you would go. You could also look if you can find someone that do custom airbrush painting. They often do MC and even goalies hockey masks.

Nice custom paint and will be fun to see the whole bike

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I thought (though I JUST DON`T KNOW) that graphics like that were usually done with different paint these days. "OneShot" and other acrylic enamels come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSealAot View Post
    ACC, the Klasse AIO seems to have a light chemical cleaner and can be used by hand. From what I`ve read this will not penetrate the lacquer or clear coat; has that been your experience?
    Short answer: yes. I still wouldn`t rub hard and I`d be careful what you apply it with, but I`d use KAIO on something like that with no reservations. It won`t "penetrate" or anything like that.
    My biggest concerns are clothing banging up against the tank, bugs, and rock chips.

May need to look around my area for a quality shop that could PPF the tank and fenders since a sealant will not likely address my concerns. I know PPF has improved tremendously but are there still problems with it yellowing as it ages? Are there concerns if and when you want to remove this?
    That "physical barrier" is why I suggested the KSG. I don`t know if it`s safe to put the PPF over such work, IIRC it shouldn`t be used on some kinds of repaints and I`d think that would qualify.

The bike will be garaged and I am leaning towards a quality cover. Thoughts? Sorry for all the questions; several things are new that I`ve never concerned myself with previously.
    Covers, even if soft enough that they won`t scratch in-and-of themselves, *WILL* scratch if there is *any* dirt between the cover and the paint. *IMO* coves are the Devil, but that`s just me (who`s used a lot of `em). I myself would lay a clean soft MF over the tank *after it`s spotlessly clean*.

Thread Information