Post Thanks / Like

Need help detailing a bike

2002 GSXR 750

Hi everyone,
    A client has left me his 2002 GSXR 750...how should I detail it? I`ve never detailed a bike before (but I`ve detailed many cars). He wants to sell it so it has to look nice. I have read very few threads about detailing bikes without much success. I have my PC, OHC, OC, OP, AIO, P21S, 303 Protectant, SSR 2.5, Sonus SFX 1-3, Sonus DAS spot pads, Edge 2000 PC pad set, Meg`s Cleaner wax, Sonus Gloss Shampoo, Liquid Brasso (any idea how to use this product well), Orange Degreaser stuff, clay bars, and more! Basically, I just want some product suggestions and ideas/techniques on how to make it look sweet. I really would like to know how to improve the appearance of plastic significantly...AIO seems to work well on cars (and the rest of the bike as well, such as the frame). But, is there a way to polish it scratches from plastic. The bike has alot of plastic and alot of stickers. Please help. Oh, and maybe some detailing tips for a Honda Gold Wing 1800 too? Thanks!
    Not an ordinary teen

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help detailing a bike

My bike doesn`t have all the plastic that you are going to deal with so that will be touched on later in my post.
    These are my personal preferences and methods and you may want to vary both the products and the procedures.
    1. Get some Honda S-100 Hondabrite Total Cycle Cleaner at your Honda dealer or some S100 Total Cycle Cleaner at your Harley dealer. Use this for a pre-cleaning to get the engine and any areas of the bike you don`t think you will be able to reach with a wash mitt. Follow the instructions and be sure to rinse thoroughly.
    2. Wash the bike with a good car wash and wash mitt. I would avoid pressure washing, but if you feel you have to pressure wash, stay away from wheel bearings and electric parts.
    3. If the plastic is such that the color is in the plastic, I have no idea how to handle it. If it is painted or gel-coated, it can be treated like any painted or gel-coated surface.
    4. If the panels are painted or gel-coated, I would use the SSR2.5 followed with the Klasse AIO, (You might need a milder SSR after the 2.5 although I have gone right to the KAIO after using it), and finish up with a sealant if you have one. Otherwise, the P21S Carnauba would be an excellent wax to use.
    5. Polishing pads with the SSR2.5 and the KAIO, the P21S with a foam hand applicator. I happen to like the Viking foam applicators with the doorknob handle formed in the foam.
    6. Avoid the stickers wherever possible and be sure to not get them hot.
    7. Don`t use the 303 on the tires or the seat. It is too slippery and can result in major problems.
    8. Be sure to ride that thing. It should be a kick-xxx ride. wear your helmet.

The Gold Wing would get the same treatment if I were doing it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I use to use the Total Cycle Cleaner, but on the Harley tech forums, it appears cleaners like that may overtiem get into seals, etc and cause trouble! I still use it, but very little and not around cases.
    Just a thought to consider.
    Also, do not put tire gel, etc on the tires, if you do only on the outside and very little, as some tire products will run, etc when wet, and slick tires on a bike is bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just the wash on the bikes we detail takes around 2.5 hours. So I dont think there is anyway we can compete with a Total Cycle Cleaner product....just wonder if a product was called Total Car Cleaner would people detail their cars with it. Food for thought. ( Sorry..couldnt resist)
    That being said, Blackfires new Spray Cleaner/Wax is great for touch-ups...on paint only!
    Sheepskin mitt(s) for paint only, using two bucket method...along with assorted animal hair paint brushes for nooks and crannies like handlebar controls, etc.
    Bike Brush....one for wheels, one for motor, one for body (frame) using two bucket method ( not the same buckets as for paint or tires)
    Rubbermaid two sided bucket dedicated for tires.
    Because a bike is smaller doesnt mean its faster...typical car is 4 hours..typical bike is 6.
    We use a product called Shock for motors that is proven safe for seals and gaskets.
    Stickers?...do you mean pinstripes and such?
    We havent found that any plastic fairings on bikes dont need to be treated any differently than paint.....although some suppliers push platic polish for bikes.
    A combination of Menzerna IP/FP works great.
    If bike is for sale a combo of AIO and S100 (PS21) will look great.
    We also do dress every tire (sidewalls) before it leaves here. ( Griots Long Lasting Tire Dressin is fantastic) Seats get Lyxol (Blue)
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dog
    just wonder if a product was called Total Car Cleaner would people detail their cars with it. Food for thought. ( Sorry..couldnt resist)
    1. There is.
    2. They do.
    3. It is called Total Auto Wash and is sold under the P21S label. http://www.autogeek.net/p2totautwas.html
    4. It would seem to be cost prohibitive to use on a full size car/truck/van.

Charles

Thread Information