Post Thanks / Like

Gelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detailGelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detail[emoji15]

So, I did my first boat yesterday! Gel coats are NO joke! I did a basic wash followed up with a single step buff/polish and wax as a LSP. I used the Meguiars M67 one step compound with foam pads on my Rupes 21. I broke it up into sections and went to town. Two solid passes on each section with the M67/foam/Rupes gave me (although not perfect) a big noticeable difference. I finished it up with a coat of Collonite IW 845. Honestly, I love my Rupes, but I think a rotary would have been more efficient. Start to finish it took about 4.5 hours. What are you guys, that do boats on the regular, using? I would have liked faster, better cutting power but rotaries make nervous. How would a forced roatation do? Maybe the new makita or Flex? Please advise! Boats are so much different than cars, lol. Very satisfying to do, but a lot more work than I imagined! I was going to do the trailer as well (polish the wheels and dress the tires but I just ran out of time). Your input and feedback are GREATLY appreciated! Gelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detail[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes grungy, House of Wax, trashmanssd, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detailGelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detail[emoji15]

Turned out great. I actually did a boat last week and got another coming Monday. Yeah, any real cutting on gelcoat needs a rotary and wool

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes davidc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detailGelcoat is NO Joke! First boat detail[emoji15]

I`m sore just looking at the pictures.

Nice transformation!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. 4.5 hrs seems pretty quick. Especially given the great results.

Rotary is so inexpensive in the end, especially if you plan on doing more boats.

Post Thanks / Like

As a previous boat owner(30` Baja Outlaw) you have my utmost respect and sympathy. Your results are amazing considering what you had to start with. Gelcoat needs lots and lots of TLC and IMHO very few boat owners are willing to care for it properly. Great Job!!!!
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and kind words! I AM sore! This thing kicked my butt! So rotary`s the best option... I was hoping someone would say a forced rotation DA would be just as efficient, lol. I don`t know what my thing is against rotaries, lol... what are you guys using for rotary machines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
    very few boat owners are willing to care for it properly.
    Jay
    So true. And ever fewer people are willing to pay what`s it`s worth to bring a neglected boat back into shape. I get more tire kickers on boats more than anything. They take a whole lotta work. My father in law always complains about how faded the red portions of their boat gets over the summer (it sits in the water 24/7 during the warm months), but yet he doesn`t do any maintenance through the year to try and protect it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MshawnBauer View Post
    Thanks for the replies and kind words! I AM sore! This thing kicked my butt! So rotary`s the best option... I was hoping someone would say a forced rotation DA would be just as efficient, lol. I don`t know what my thing is against rotaries, lol... what are you guys using for rotary machines?
    I`ve got a dewalt that I use pretty much strictly on boats. Pretty inexpensive and it`s a beast. I`ll wax and do light polishing with my Rupes, but if I do any compounding the DeWalt gets busted out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I`ve got a dewalt that I use pretty much strictly on boats. Pretty inexpensive and it`s a beast. I`ll wax and do light polishing with my Rupes, but if I do any compounding the DeWalt gets busted out
    Cool! Which model do you use? I`m assuming wool pads as well. I`ll just need to practice!

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849...iable-Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

I use wool for compounding and foam for the rest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I use wool for compounding and foam for the rest

AWESOME!! Thank you for the replies!!

Thread Information