Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Detailing

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Detailing

Who has done it, is doing it?
    I just picked one up, but have not seen it nor know what kind, size, etc.. I did the owners Ford and BMW, and now he wants me to do his boat soon.
    I guess what I am am asking is, what products should I be looking at? Waxes, cleaners, polishes, oxidation remover, etc..... I know scottlee does them, so I hope he chimes in.
    Anyone?
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Detailing

I detail boats, I use 3M products on the hull. Check out west marines website, they have a store loacator on there. They carry a few lines of boat products.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read, I believe that most guys charge by the foot to detail boats. They are a different kind of dirty than cars. I know Meguiar`s has a good line of products for marine detailing. That`s about all I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    From what I have read, I believe that most guys charge by the foot to detail boats. They are a different kind of dirty than cars. I know Meguiar`s has a good line of products for marine detailing. That`s about all I know.

I was looking at the Megs site earlier. I guess I will have to wait and see it, then go from there. Maybe take pics and post them to get opinions on it.

I pass a medium size boat everyday when I take my dughter to school. It is white and burgandy. Faded out bad....I want to get my hands on that thing Sooooooo bad..lol

Post Thanks / Like

Something that is really profitable that I`d like to explore is aircraft detailing. My brother has worked at airports in the private jet refuling areas and places like that and he says that a jet detailer can pull down several hundred dollars on a full detail of a reasonable sized private jet. On the really big ones they can make even more. When the plane cost 5 or 6 million dollars I guess paying a detailer $1500 bucks to shine it up isn`t a hardship.

There are a lot of sensors and things on a plane that I wouldn`t want to mess up. They have schools specifically for plane detailers that I am interested in checking out sometime. It could be big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if you have any questions just PM me, I do boat detailing all summer long.

Like others have said, stick with 3m or megs, make sure there for boats though, usally car products dont have the bite that is needed for the finish on boats.

Post Thanks / Like

chris i can help you out with the boats as well we do 90% boats catch me in chat in the eves
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rouge and Scott. I will be getting with you 2 when I see the boat and take pics. We can go from there.
    when I worked at the dealership, The owner brought his Boats in after his fishing trips. I just pretty much washed them and nothing else.

Thanks again!!!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done a few...

While I would reccomend marine strict compounds if the finish is terrible, when it is lightly oxidized or defected, the automobile stuff is still great. Meguiar`s DACP worked wonderfully as did Menzerna Powergloss. Follow up with your favorite sealant, and you have a nice 1-2 step.

Typically, I charge about $10 per foot for just for hull; $15 a foot for the entire exterior; $20 a foot for everything...This varies greatly if the boat is a tall flybridge/motoryacht/aft-cabin/etc .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    I`ve done a few...

While I would reccomend marine strict compounds if the finish is terrible, when it is lightly oxidized or defected, the automobile stuff is still great. Meguiar`s DACP worked wonderfully as did Menzerna Powergloss. Follow up with your favorite sealant, and you have a nice 1-2 step.

Typically, I charge about $10 per foot for just for hull; $15 a foot for the entire exterior; $20 a foot for everything...This varies greatly if the boat is a tall flybridge/motoryacht/aft-cabin/etc .

Guess I should catch up on some boat lingo while I`m at it. LOL

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone be able to post a small tutorial on boat detailing, including some lingo things? A good link would be good, but people here know what the community needs. Would also like one on RV`s, but they are that much more basic.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a seperate forum for boats and/or RV`s.
    Like Megs. online has..I dunno

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.boatdocs1.com/

They used to have some write ups on some detailing. take a look, i think theres a bunch of links on the right side.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of boat does this guy own?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information