Post Thanks / Like

matte black finish

I have a matte black finish on my r6 it has a clear on it that made the black flat and i got a couple of gas drips on the gas tank, also whenever sombody touches it the oils from there hands leave marks.... i was wondering what is the best thing i can do to take it off i can get the marks from peoples hands off bye washing it but i cant take the gas drips off... any help is greatly appreciated thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: matte black finish

Quote Originally Posted by soulvxr6
    I have a matte black finish on my r6 it has a clear on it that made the black flat and i got a couple of gas drips on the gas tank, also whenever sombody touches it the oils from there hands leave marks.... i was wondering what is the best thing i can do to take it off i can get the marks from peoples hands off bye washing it but i cant take the gas drips off... any help is greatly appreciated thank you
    For an OTC product i would suggest any of the Meguiars Detail Sprays. For something from one of the sponsor sites I would suggest Poorboys S&W

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    For an OTC product i would suggest any of the Meguiars Detail Sprays. For something from one of the sponsor sites I would suggest Poorboys S&W

Richard
    is that going to make shiny spots on the matte finish or is it going to take it off and keep the matte finish once again thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean about the matte finish?? Like flat black with no flakes in the paint? Kind of mixed up with your wording. Poorboys Spray and Wipe (S&W) is a type of waterless wash that will help your sitution out with the gas and fingerprints. Nothing is left behind with this product so what ever is under the finger prints or dirt is what it going to be seen- no added gloss or protection. But if you buy a Quick Detailer from a local store then that may `shine` the paint up but it shouldn`t be used on a dirty surface.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

is that going to make shiny spots on the matte finish or is it going to take it off and keep the matte finish
    If there is a clearcoat on top of the matte black, then no, detail sprays nor polishes are going to hurt the color (matte black). It will not shine the matte finish as it is under the clearcoat.
    If the clearcoat has become etched by the gas drops, you may have to polish those out with something a little stronger than detail spray. Using an abrasive polish with a PC shouldn`t hurt your matte black finish either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you..........Tom
    cor·vette : [ kôr-vt ]n. 1. A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about Harleys Black Denim you do not use any polish or wax products on it. Harley suggests to cleans spots ,spray cleaning product on towel and dab.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn`t realize that we were in the motorcycle section! Well I guess that changes things... well not really. Spray and wipe can be used on many many surfaces so it may be worth a shot. Maybe a picture of the area would be more of use to us than a description. Not sure if a polish can be used but if it is cleared then I will say you may want to try that. If a polish doesn`t work, I wouldn`t know what to do from there. Well you could take a rag and put that around the filler hole so you dont drip gas on the tank.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I did not realize we were speaking of motorcycles either.

From my understanding of this new Matte Finish is it is a regular clearcoat and you treat it the same as any other clear coated vehicle. All they do is add something into the clear that gives it a matter finish when done. It is real popular in the Hot Rod scene currently and it give the car and old school primer look.
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

here is the pic of the tank the paint under the clear is a gloss black. the clear had some type of flattening agent in it to make it a flat black like 97f1504x4 said thanks for all your help... people from my area are no help hope the pic helps my confusing words...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soulvxr6
    here is the pic of the tank the paint under the clear is a gloss black. the clear had some type of flattening agent in it to make it a flat black like 97f1504x4 said thanks for all your help... people from my area are no help hope the pic helps my confusing words...lol
    No confusion on my part I knew exactly what you meant. Like i said above it is becoming a big hit in the Hot Rod arena especially at car and truck shows. And since i am in that scene I knew about it.

It is still a clearcoat form my understanding they simply add a flattening agent into the clear before applying which gives it a flat look no shine . I have been told you treat it just as you would any other clearcoated paint.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Thread Information