Thread: new boat

Post Thanks / Like

new boat

I just bought a new LUND boat. What should I do for durabilty...........AIO? Boat is black, motor is black. It is basecoat/clearcoat with PPG paint. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new boat

ok number one....a boat is not a car. dont use car wax or car polish or cleaners.

go to a boat US or West Marine or even your local boat place. pick up some 3m or meguiars cleaner and wax and then just a bottle of wax. if you keep up with these products you wont need anything tougher then this. for all the other stuff get some simple green marine. and some 303 for your vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am not mistaken..Lunds are aluminum boats painted with a basecoat and clear over it...I would believe any good paint cleaner/polish would work...as for the protection on the paint...Collinite wax..that is what we use on our boat..has a long durabilty factor. I would not use any boat polish for gel coat..as they can be harsh on paint.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

The boat is painted with PPG........................so I would assume any automotive wax will do. I would like to know what is the most durable. It has a clear coat where most boats do not.

Post Thanks / Like

you could probaly use a good sealant and top with collinite wax....collinite is probaly the most durable wax going...my boat sits in water from may till sept and when we pull it ..its still beading and sheating water..and the slime and sludge wash off with almost no effort...I put 2 coats on a few days apart..

when you go into a marina..that is the wax they reccomend ...

put it on thin on a cool day..out of the sun..and no problems...

hope this helps

Al

PS..the wax I use is either the insulator wax #845 or the fleetwax #885...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help.....................it is brand new so I want to keep it that way. I stepped up to a 4 stroke outboard so no more stained exhaust housings. Where can I find COLLINITE? thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

you can find it at a marina...or call collinite..maybe some of the online vendors here may carry it..if not do a google and you should find it...if not let me know..I can pick you up some and send it to you...it`s less than 15.00...

some car parts carry it..was told carquest has it in some areas...or west marine has it...they have a online store also...hope this all helps..by the way nice boat..Lund is first class...best in its class..enjoy

www.collinite.com

here is some reading on it http://www.thebestwax.com/boatwax.htm

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I bought some #885 today at BOAT U.S. Should I use some type of cleaner first before the Collinite or does it clean well enough on it`s own. Do you think it will bond well to AIO? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pappy
    ok number one....a boat is not a car. dont use car wax or car polish or cleaners.

Why not?

Many boutique detailing retailers have mentioned using automotive products for the marine world and actually SUGGEST it. Personally, Meguiar`s DACP and Menzerna Powergloss have done a phenomenal job on bringing back the gloss on gelcoat withOUT buffer marring. They have thoroughly removed oxidation and marring. Furthermore, synthetic paint sealants will blow away paste waxes for durability any day of the week. I`m talking about Zaino, Klasse, UPP, EX-P+, the strong ones. There is no way a heavy carnauba will stand up to these, especially in a salty atmosphere.

Please clarify...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sean.

I have used Zaino Z3 on my Jetski for years, and converted my friend for use on his boat. Z3 and a rotary restored and sealed his fiberglass better than any marine products he used. Not only that, but one application takes us through the entire summer here on LI. Easiest cleanup Ive ever had on a sal````er craft.

Definitely try your favorite products on a boat, you`ll be pleasantly surprised.

This isnt the greatest pic (the only one I have here though), but this jetski is 10 years old, and has only had 1 coat of Z3 each spring.

Post Thanks / Like

ok well i guess im just used to boats that havnt been waxed in 5 years. and i suppose a cleaner wax for cars is not as abbrasive as a cleaner wax for boats. and with the thicker coat on boats it makes sense to use a more abbrasive product. i guess i shouldnt say i WONT work but it will take longer to get you where you want to be. And yes i have tried useing car products. i have used DACP and it did nothing for the boat i was working on. then i went over and switched to 3m`s cleaner and wax and it took it right off. (both using a rotary) so on personal experience i would say boat cleaners do a better job on boats then car cleaners. now maybe ur right on the wax ive never tried my car wax to do a boat. so ur probally right there.

but of course if u dont keep your boat in the water year round (like a jet ski) or if u keep care of a boat like your own car detailng it every other week. the i suppose any car product will work.

and of course i missed the part about the clear coat on this post so dont even listen to me. yes paint/clearcoat do like u do your car.

The first boat we did try to use a car product for and it did nothing so we used the cleaner and wax from 3M (for boats)
    http://www.gotkemp.com/vip/P1010006.JPG
    http://www.gotkemp.com/vip/P1010004.JPG
    http://www.gotkemp.com/vip/boat.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon

I would do just as GSR said..as I said before also..use a good sealant...such as the one`s reccomended...UPP..EX-p+..and then use the collinite..let the wax take the abuse and the sealant do the protection..and yes..you can clean with the AIO...our boat sits in Lake Ontario for the summer for the Salmon season..I use Klasse SG and Collinite..when we pull it there is hardly any waterline staining..what is there comes off pretty easy...

It has never been in sal````er...so the durability factor with the wax/sealant combo I could not answer..

with a cleaning of AIO then:

2 coats of sealant and 2 coats of wax..I think you should be fine.

AL

Thread Information